7 | ACT I, SCENE VII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Well, then," Cosmo stood up, smiling. "It seems this fight has reached a decision. We are to have a new Queen."

RYVENNDEL MANSION, BELLHAVEN, STEFFITH

EDWINA

"DON'T BE RIDICULOUS. YOU'RE TELLING me you were so good that they gave you their time for free?"

"I'm Aidon Tremayne," he huffed his chest importantly, "and she was the Black Pearl. Very picky, all those courtesans are - some even have the audacity to refuse gods if they don't like their coc-"

"-someone should make you drink a vat of holy water," I put my hands over my ears and my brother laughed. "You're married, Aidon," I crossly reprimanded him.

He shrugged nonchalantly.

He was married to one of Favian's sisters, a cheerful goddess. They both had eloped in a fit of happiness years ago, giving Emerick Rotavelle one more excuse to hate us Tremaynes.

"She doesn't mind. Drop it," he said sullenly.

"She's your wife, don't you have any sort of loyalty to her?"

"Lord," he sighed, closing the window, his tone now serious. "We are immortals. I'm not saying I don't love my wife. I do love her. But spending years and years - centuries and centuries - with someone gets boring. We all have our fun. She does it too."

"But-"

"-drop it," he repeated firmly, his mood off. "Seriously. Instead of being so sullen, can't you cheer up a bit? You're going to be the Queen, for god's sake. You've made us all so proud today."
He leaned over and hugged me where I was perched on the windowsill, and I ruffled his hair good naturedly. "I think you're lonely," he observed after a while.

"I'm not."

"You are. After mother died, you just distanced yourself. From all of us. Even me, Edwina," Aidon said, his voice thick with hurt. "And after your Trials, you just... disappeared. Just like that. I spent all ten days searching for you and when I finally saw you, you looked like you hadn't eaten in weeks. And if that wasn't enough, Amphi was crying as if it had been her who was starved. And now you're here. You're going to be the Queen. So stop moping around. Imagine how proud mother would have been."

"I miss her," I said softly.

"Why did you let the dick go?" he asked me.

"Whose dick?" I flinched in horror as he chuckled.

"I meant Favian. You could have pierced his heart with Seraphine."

"Sometimes, Aidon, mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice," I said, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.