The Best Friend | Jonathan

~*part three*~

It was your first day of senior year. You were nervous. Mostly because you didn't have any plans for a future, and after your last year in high school you feel like you'd be in a huge slump.

You decided to walk to school since you didn't have Jonathan to give you rides anymore. It's been two weeks since you've spoken to him, and he hasn't made an effort to speak to you. It hurt knowing that he didn't care, but it's been an eye opener. It's made you realize that your friendship didn't mean to him what it meant to you. It was one sided.

When he told you about his feeling for you and Nancy it really confused you. You weren't sure what to feel or how you should've been feeling. It was difficult to shrug it off, but you managed. You began to pretend like he hadn't sent you any mix signals. Like only you ever felt anything for him. It was still difficult, but easier. Much easier than thinking about whether he liked your more or not.

You finally arrived to Hawkins High School. Your first class was Literature. You enjoyed this class as you enjoyed reading and writing. You sat at the back of the class. Usually you were in the middle, but this year you'd rather stay away from the crowd.

You expected no one to sit next to you since there were many extra seats, but surprisingly, Steve Harrington walked up to the desk next to yours.

"Is anyone sitting here?" He asked pointing to the desk.

You looked around you, but he was looking down at you and pointing at the seat right next to yours. You looked back at him, "you're talking to me?"

He scratched the back of his head then nodded. Only one shoulder was holding the weight of his backpack. You could tell he was ready to let it fall to the ground.

"Huh," you bit the inside of your cheek and chuckled.

"Look, if you want me to sit somewhere else I can. I just thought that maybe you'd be okay with me being here."

"After how you treated Jonathan?" You rolled your eyes. As if he was listening, Jonathan walked into the classroom then. He sat near the middle of the classroom, still close to you.

"I'm surprised you're still defending him. He did sort of ditch you and run away into happily ever after with my girlfriend," Steve said with annoyance clear in his voice.

"Why aren't you with Nancy instead? Go fix your problems." You ignored his statement about Jonathan leaving you for her.

"Why aren't you with Jonathan? I'm sure you have a lot to talk about," he touched his lip.

"I got here first. It's too late to go talk," you replied sarcastically.

"Me too," Steve smirked. You shook your head and chuckled.

"Sit down. Class is about to start," you told him. Steve smiled and sat next to you. Did you really just let Steve Harrington, your best... ex... well... Jonathan's bully sit next you? Was that horrible of you? No, Jonathan doesn't care what you do. Why would he care if you let Steve sit next to you?

"I am sorry about what I've done to him...and you," Steve whispered while the teacher introduced himself.

It was only day one AND the beginning of the day,  and you could already tell Steve was changing. He didn't stroll in with his clique, and he came to you and he's apologizing. That's not your typical Steve.

"I'm surprised. Is that really you?" You poked Steve, checking to see if he wasn't the Demogorgon in disguise. Steve chuckled.

"I'm serious. I realize how horrible I was. I was a jerk," he didn't look at you, but you felt the sincerity.

He was taking down notes. You stared at Steve. You never thought you'd have a conversation with him where you wouldn't be calling him a jerk and telling him to back away. You don't even know why you didn't shy away from him or glare at him when he first walked up to your desk.

"You just realized you where an ass?" You couldn't help but laugh.

"Hey!" Steve laughed as well.

"We would like to laugh too! Why don't you tell us why you're laughing, (y/n)," the teacher said loudly.

Both Steve and you looked up. You could feel yourself turning red. You'd never been called out by a teacher. You could feel everyone's eyes on you. You quickly turned towards Jonathan and he was watching you too. He looked annoyed.

"Hey, it was all me." Steve spoke up. People looked at Steve and then back at you. They were puzzled. Most thinking about why Steve would sit next to you AND defend you. You looked down at your desk.

"I don't have time for this. I'll see you both after class."