Chapter 54

Waking up after a big healing spell always hurt. Healing magic was soul magic and anything that affected the soul also played havoc in the body. In summary, Ryraso was hurting badly. He groaned softly and curled into whoever was in front of him. No one was behind him, which was unusual, given the circumstance he was in.

'Ryraso,' Nel'os' voice moved through him, Dyn'ad and Tai'ray's presence appearing in the link and mentally nudged him. Ryraso groaned again. He didn't want to wake up yet. He wanted his headache to go away. 'Come on, Ry,' Nel'os murmured. 'Time to join us in the real world again.'

Ryraso opened his eyes.

He was hugging Eyeri. The boy curled against Ryraso's chest, his hair in Ryraso's face. Tai'ray was on his other side, sitting up against the wall while reading a book. The Winglord glanced down at him and smiled softly as he saw Ryraso was awake, a hand moving to rest on Ryraso's forehead.

"No fever. You're fine, just hurting," Tai'ray said in human tongue.

Ryraso blinked slowly. Not at the action, it was a logical move to make. Healing spells which required a second power source often left the primary vulnerable to disease himself. Which was why they were only done as last resorts. The speaking out loud in human tongue, that meant something else. Most likely that the young man in his arms was actually awake and faking being asleep.

"No good morning?" Ryraso teased, his throat making it almost painful to speak. It was dry, he needed a drink. Just how long had he been passed out?.

"More like good afternoon. I'm going to have to let Herymi stay in one of the really nice guest rooms. I said one night, three is a bit more than that," Tai'ray said dryly, putting the book down. "Though I suspect given what happened last night, he'll be wanting to stay a little longer."

"His home in chaos would do that," Ryraso nodded, shifting slightly. Eyeri's hand curled in his top and Ryraso paused, wrapping and an arm around the young man and lifting himself up on an elbow so he wasn't completely lying down. "Does this mean we are delaying leaving?"

"No," Tai'ray shook his head, his voice pensive. "It means," he sighed. "It means I will have to trust Guardian Fl'ex to judge the relationship between Herymi and his suitors. We have to go. Herymi needs to be punished. Then after, I will give permission for him to return here. I have already had several visits from the villagers asking what the village would need to do to have him returned here and not Navat. The link will allow it."

"Are you going to ask his opinion on the matter?" Ryraso asked almost darkly.

"Do you want to open that can of worms now?" Tai'ray asked back with a glare of his own. Ryraso averted his eyes. No, Ryraso didn't want to start that argument again. "I will, Ryraso. But if the link is anything to go by, he may ask me. Seeing his family like this is hard for him. Especially with Guardian Fl'ex on bedrest."

"Guardian Fl'ex is hurt?" Ryraso frowned for a different reason.

"Oh yes. Your youngling had quite the mini-adventure after Nel'os brought you here," Tai'ray commented calmly, his eyes landing on the back of Eyeri's head. Ryraso felt Eyeri stiffened up. "Struck Guardian Fl'ex in the chest, drugged him and ran into the woods. Fell into the river, almost drowned and got saved by Guardian Fl'ex. I assume you didn't have a lot of the drug left?" Tai'ray said, reaching out to pet Eyeri's hair. Eyeri shook his head, still not uncurling.

"All gone now anyway," Eyeri muttered. "I lost my bag..."

"Eyeri," Ryraso breathed, kissing Eyeri's head. "Are you ok?"

"Bit of a redundant question really. He's still here after all," Tai'ray commented calmly as Eyeri shrugged. Tai'ray shifted slightly and rubbed Eyeri's shoulder. "He's in one piece and alive. Let's focus on that for now. Hiu'um still has his wings and Herymi, Dyn'ad and Nel'os are helping the community rebuild. Aw'endo's babysitting. Guardian Fl'ex wants to be the one to punish Eyeri for attacking him."