Chapter 56

The fires were lit and burning high as the night settled in and people gathered to eat and socialise. Most were still wearing clothes covered in mud, their hair and wings a mess with leaves but people were smiling. Big warm smiles with loud teases about who had slid over doing what, which made some weight leave Ryraso's shoulders. The k'nairi hadn't all changed from the D'mar influence. They were still a good people.

The feast started without any ceremony, the band happily starting the music as people ate. Ryraso's eyes drifted over the body of people, picking out those he knew from the mass. Nel'os and Tai'ray were either side of him, Nel'os lounging like the pampered noble he was and Tai'ray sitting upright, looking regal in his own way.

Guardian Fl'ex was the easiest to find, sitting with his two remaining mates, the two fussing as they watched over him openly, clearly embarrassing the elderly k'nairi. Ryraso watched with careful eyes as Fl'ex coughed, rubbing his chest. Fl'ex had a few decades in him yet if he was careful but he was still vulnerable at the moment. Healer magic wasn't the only magic which left people open to danger.

Yellow eyes met his and winked at him, as Fl'ex tapped his nose. Ryraso smiled back, understanding the message. Fl'ex had enough people watching over him without a stranger adding to the list, even a healer.

Ryraso looked around again, spotting Herymi with his friends or courters depending on who was talking about them. The village was clearly happy to have him home and every time Ryraso's eyes glanced over at the caw, wings, feathers and hands seemed to be patting Herymi in a friendly way. A distinct k'nairi way of reassuring themselves Herymi was there and whole, as well as welcoming him back into the fold.

Ran'mosy was cuddled in close to Herymi, who had his arm around the smaller k'nairi. The human was clearly taking Ran'mosy's behaviour, as well as the rest of his family's behaviour in his stride, a big grin on his face as he laughed and joked with people. Ryraso didn't miss how Herymi's eyes were flashing over to Fl'ex either though. He wasn't the only one worried about the Guardian.

"You both need to relax," Nel'os commented from his slouch, pressing a bowl of roots into Ryraso's hands. "Fl'ex isn't about to drop on us just yet, so eat," he demanded.

"Guardian Fl'ex," Tai'ray reminded softly, reaching around Ryraso to flick Nel'os ear. "And please do eat Ryraso. You are still recovering, you need your strength."

"I'm eating fine," Ryraso grumbled unhappily as he bit into one of the roots. "And I would be happier if Fl'ex was drinking some more honey," he added, knowing it wasn't really his place to get involved. He wasn't the k'nairi's healer. "That cough..."

"You have been nursing that bowl of soup instead of eating it. That cough is the result of having to use a lot of power at once during a storm," Tai'ray said calmly, rubbing Ryraso's back. "Healer, let yourself heal first. The village healer will be back tomorrow. He can scare Fl'ex into taking his medicine," Tai'ray reassured, kissing Ryraso's cheek.

Ryraso rubbed his arms, shivering as a cold wind went down his back but forced himself to stop worrying about Fl'ex. Instead, his eyes drifted over to one of his troublesome charges. Aw'endo was sitting with Dyn'ad and some of the village hunters. The young k'nairi had spent the day looking over real hatchlings for their parents and now was being allowed to listen to some hunting tales.

The hatchlings were real babies with the youngest at 2 and the oldest at 5. Still, the next k'nairi living in the village was 26, which suggested there were at least two generations of hatchlings missing from this village. Typically the outer villages were allowed a new set of eggs every 5 to 7 years. But a twenty-year gap? That was unheard of. Even if you disregarded the previous generation as being missed because of the dangers of the war, that wouldn't explain why there was now a younger group.