Name of a Boy

Verres

Right now, whole raven looks delicious. I glared at the pair from my humiliating crouch besides a low bunker to avoid the gusty dust devils. The desire to have one of their smug faces between my tusks became overwhelming, but I held my ground. At least I was doing something I was good at: lying and waiting. I ground my molars in disgust all the while eyeing the ravens vehemently.

Once the storm was over, I rose to my trotters with sand and dust pouring from every snag and hole in my mangled hide. The ravens stole some less than furtive glances at my state, not making a move. Stupid birds. I approached them cautiously, biding time between my steps to see if they would give ground. Dignified, they would not budge, merely preening their sandy feathers.

*Give him back, if you haven't eaten him yet.* I demanded virtually. I could see the eyes of the ravens light up as they established a signal between us.

*What a harsh insinuation. Perhaps we shouldn't give the boy back, he is better off in the talons of beasts with the civility to demand with respect for their superiors.* The raven king boldly countered, cocking his head like an idiot. 'Superiors', my hams.

*Have it your way. Please, give him back, oh great king of avians* I asked with mock sweetness.

*Oh my, a pseudo-sycophant.* The raven queen mused. *Enough of tormenting him. Leave this in the past, Corvus. We're better than this.* She then turned on her mate, who was ostentatiously rearranging the diamonds set in gold upon his breastbone. With a look that could kill, she provoked him to apologize.

*Anything... For my queen, yes. We'll give him back, we of course have not eaten him. Actually, while you were off gallivanting through the dirt, our daughter healed his wound and brought him back from the wretched state you brought him in.* Corvus replied in a much more courteous manner, but nonetheless haughtily.

I bowed, respectfully this time. Corvus and his mate returned the bow. I froze; Saul was near... and alive. My focus drifted from the ravens. There was something different about him, I could smell it.

When he came into view, stepping dumbly into the blazing light of the sunset, I realized that he was no longer quite human. But it was not as if he was the same caliber as I or the ravens. He was something quite else.

Saul bolted up to me all the while talking in a continuous, rambling stream. He embraced my snout and continued to babble incoherently. Poor boy. And I still could not speak to him.

Sensing something was off, Corvus asked gently, *Are you unable to vocalize?*

*No, unfortunately. But I have tried.* I answered. Corvus nodded knowingly, considering me.

"...Saul." I managed, letting the name travel softly through my tusks.

Saul looked up at me in amazement and muttered some explanation of joy under his breath. Everything was going to be alright... For now at least. 

The last bit of the day rushed by quickly. I got a rather thorough introduction to the facility (the parts of the compound that had a ceiling high enough to accommodate me) guided by both the ravens and their human daughter. For such arrogant avians, they surely knew how to be hospitable. They even offered to fix my voice, which I quickly accepted. I would finally be able to speak, after all these damned years of purely digital dialogue. But I knew the price for such a fix would be for me to leave and take Saul with me. It would be a lot tougher for him, he seemed to be warming up to the place, even if it was a romanticized mausoleum. I think it was the human girl that he liked, but I don't think he has quite realized it yet.

But that was a silly thought really...