Chapter 23 - Mission Impossible...With Capes

As we left my apartment by flying: me wobbling around the place and Blaze Boy flying in a straight line, I caught a glimpse through my living room's window, a pool of light in the dim evening. Brian, Mom and a sleeping Rufus were on the sofa, chatting and watching TV. I was happy Mom was occupied while I flew off to sneak into my father's headquarters.

"Keep up!" Blaze Boy yelled from ahead, the heat of his flames firing into my face. I accelerated my water jets and energy surged through me, as I came in level with Blaze Boy. We flew over my city, towards the bridge. The sun had set about an hour ago, and darkness was slowly engulfing the city, like a blanket. The wind blew through my already-messy hair and I felt my cape billowing behind me. I looked over to Blaze Boy, who's hair was flopping around behind him.

"We should land the other side of the bridge, and walk from there!" I shouted, trying to get heard over the breezy wind. Blaze Boy nodded as we began flying over the Golden Gate strait. Soon, we were the other side of the bridge to San Fran, and we landed among a group of trees, just past the bridge's toll booth. The trees were dark, and there was a faint glimmer of light from the toll booth behind us.

"So, one thing I forgot to work out is where Electric Avenue is." I murmured, causing Blaze Boy to narrow his eyes at me. Oops.

"Well done." He retorted, pulling his phone from his secret pocket (still haven't worked out where that is) and tapping the map app. I shuffled up to watch as the screen loaded, showing we were in a small forest just past the bridge entrance this side of the river. 

"Type in Electric Avenue." I said, looking down at the screen.

"I don't need to." Blaze Boy mused, showing me that we were literally 0.2 miles away from Electric Avenue, at the west side of the forest we were stood in. Blaze Boy shoved his phone away (WHERE?!) and we set off west, trudging through dry leaves and trying not to trip over tree roots. Eventually, there were bright lights shining through the trees, and I could make out the silhouettes of guard towers.

"That must be the headquarters. It's huge." I whispered, walking towards it. Blaze Boy ushered for us to hide behind a large tree as a flashlight sweeped the forest. I felt like I was in Mission Impossible...with capes, obviously. I started humming the theme tune as Blaze Boy stole a peek towards the headquarters.

"What are you singing?" He hissed, turning to face me.

"Mission Impossible." I replied, winking at him. He needed to loosen up a bit. Obviously he didn't like this whole 'let's go into a super villain's headquarters and poke around' kinda thing.

"This is an impossible mission alright." He muttered under his breath. I looked around the side of the tree, and the spotlight was on the opposite side of the forest. In a sudden movement, I ran a few meters towards another tree, ducking behind it. A few seconds after, Blaze Boy followed me. As we stood with our backs against the rough tree bark, all I could hear was the thud, thud, thud of my heart, and the quick breathing of Blaze Boy next to me. I looked over at him to find his slightly adorable (what, Cass?! Get a hold of yourself!) hair flopping over his mask. 

Blaze Boy turned and looked around the tree again, before turning back to face me.

"After the next spotlight pass, we can run to the border fence and not be seen. There's no guards down by the fence and the spotlight doesn't go down as far." He instructed, standing against the bark as the spotlight passed our tree. Without warning, Blaze Boy grabbed my gloved hand and dragged me towards the borderline fence.

"Hey, get off me!" I hissed, trying to stay quiet. What an idiot! Oh yeah, Cass can't run without holding someone's hand. I withdrew my hand from his and glared at him as we ran. As we reached the borderline fence, I knelt on the floor to catch my breath and stay low.

"I don't need you to hold my hand whenever we move." I growled at Blaze Boy, who was kneeling beside me. 

"Fine. I was just...don't worry."

Oh, believe me, I won't worry.

I gazed up at the guard tower looming above us, and noticed there was only one human silhouette I could see, holding a large gun. I nudged Blaze Boy and pointed up, and he winked at me.

"Let's get this party started."

(A/N: hello! Next chapter is going to be chock-a-block full of action, so get ready! Thanks so much for reading Aqua Girl, it's currently up to 108 in Adventure! Have a good day :) )