Calm

Jake-

Dinner was absolutely delicious. It had been a while since he'd had burgers and he actually managed to eat two, along with the side of broccoli and chocolate pudding Rose made. "You are an amazing cook, ma'am." He praised as he leaned back on his heels where he sat. He'd opted for the pillow beside Jade's chair, even though the man had offered him a seat at the table. 

He thought that it would feel strange after eating at Adam's table for so long, but it honestly made him completely content to be beside Jade as he'd worked on his food. "I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jacob. There are plenty of leftovers for you to take home tomorrow. I always make extra." 

Jake glanced up at Jade as the man smiled down at him and rustled his hair. "Thank you Rose. I'm sure he'd love to take the leftovers home." Mirroring Jade's expression, Jake turned and nodded to Rose. "Yes please, ma'am." 

Rose gave him a little chuckle and turned to head back toward the kitchen as she spoke. "Very good. I shall get that all packed up for you and set it in the front of the fridge so that you can fetch it on your way out tomorrow." 

Jake called a "Thank you" to her from where he sat, then waited patiently for Jade to finish picking at what he wanted on his own plate. The man hadn't eaten a whole lot, but he had mentioned that he'd eaten lunch late and hadn't really planned on having dinner. Jake appreciated him eating a bit, none the less. He would have felt really awkward sitting and eating alone in someone else's home. Especially after eating with Adam for the past few weeks. 

A soft brush of Jade's fingers against his hair drew Jake's head against his leg. "Something on your mind, Jacob?" Jade asked as Jake heard the sound of his fork being set down, likely not to be picked up again considering how uninterested Jade seemed to have been in finishing off his remaining portion. 

His stomach twisted a little at the thought of the food going to waste, but he had seen how much Jade had taken and how much he'd managed to finish. He didn't put food on his plate anticipating that he might eat it. He only took what he knew he wanted, and he'd finished a good deal of it. 

So used to not being able to afford to leave even scraps, but I'm so full. 

Jake sighed and closed his eyes as he nuzzled his cheek against Jade's leg. "Nothing important, sir." He paused for a moment, then looked up with a small smile. "May I take your dish to the kitchen, please?"

He knew that Jade wouldn't let him wash the dishes or clean, but he didn't think helping clear  the table would be frowned upon. When Jade nodded and stood, offering Jake his hand, he took it gladly and allowed the larger man to easily pull him to his feet. 

"You definitely have gained some weight." Jade said as Jake straightened. "I'm glad." He said as he ran his fingers through Jake's hair, then slid his hand down his back and handed him the plate he wanted to clear, before using his hand on his back to gently usher him in the direction of the kitchen. 

"Go ahead. You can help Rose for a few minutes, if she allows. I need to run upstairs and check my phone." Jade said, surprising Jake that he had actually forgotten to bring his phone down with them. 

I thought he always had it in his pocket. I guess he set it down by mistake. 

Doing as told, Jake headed for the kitchen and helped Rose clean up. They finished after only a few minutes, having loaded the dish washer and wiped down the counters. He was then shooed out of the kitchen so Rose could turn the light off and head up to bed. "Jade must have gotten caught up in a business call, best to go upstairs to your room until he finishes. He doesn't like being disturbed when dealing with his staff." Rose told him.