12 - Helena

I questioned my own decision as to why I had hastily chosen to flee from the situation. Was it because I was afraid of being perceived as a coward? Perhaps. But then again, the circumstances surrounding him were far from ordinary, and I found myself compelled to prioritize self-preservation over potential embarrassment. All I desired in that moment was to create as much distance as possible between us. There was something about him that sparked unfamiliar emotions and stirred desires within me—ones that I had never encountered before.

Despite having experienced him invading my personal space in the past, this particular proximity felt more intense than ever before, causing my knees to weaken, and I didn't even find it necessary to lock the door. Overwhelmed, I couldn't help myself from collapsing onto the bed, with the soft pillow cushioning the impact on my face. Time seemed to slip away as I remained in that position, unsure of how long had passed. Eventually, as my heart ceased its frantic racing and gradually settled, I cautiously rose from the bed, feeling a sense of relief and calmness washing over me. Glancing at the clock, I realized that it was only mid-noon. What a great day to socialize! Not only did I make someone else miserable, but I also made a fool of myself. Three cheers to the mature woman that I thought I was. Since I lacked the responsibility to bolt my door, it gave access to two frantic vampires to barg into my room, making me groan out loud in resignation.

"What are you doing here, Sid and Marg?"

I mustered up the strength to speak, although my voice came out weak and feeble. At that moment, I lacked the energy to delve into the complete narrative. Nonetheless, as I observed the expressions on their faces, it became evident that they were determined to extract every detail from me. It was Marg who took the initiative and opened the conversation.

"What are we doing here? What were you doing when you planned to leave this place and that, too, because of my stupid brother? I thought you were bold enough to handle him."

I chose to maintain my silence and allow them to express their emotions until they reached a state of patience. Next was Sid.

"Do you even know that you can't leave this place even if you want to? Don't ask me why, because I am not supposed to say that."

I sighed, exasperated. I wish it remained a secret, and it would have if it wasn't for my stupid stubbornness.

"I know I am his mate."

In a rather casual manner, I made the statement, causing both of them to immediately fall silent. However, that moment of silence was swiftly followed by an onslaught of questions directed towards me.

"You know?"

"How did you?"

"Who told you?"

"Was it Nathan?"

"How are..."

"GUYS!"

I exclaimed loudly, reaching my breaking point. It dawned on me that their surprise and astonishment were inevitable upon learning the truth, but I simply lacked the strength to match their current level of enthusiasm. I felt drained and depleted, unable to summon the energy required to meet their excitement.

"Just allow me to speak, please? Thank you. Yes, I know I am his mate. And no, it's not Nathan who told me; it was a girl named Helena."

As I observed their faces, I noticed an immediate shift in their expression upon hearing that particular name. Marg, filled with anxiety, glanced uneasily at Sid, whose devastation was clearly visible. Did I say something wrong?

"Helena?"

Sid spoke softly, barely audible. The realization hit me like a lightning bolt—I had completely forgotten about her, the witch who had once cursed him. It all suddenly made sense, as he had mentioned her name countless times before. The familiarity that had eluded me now flooded my thoughts. Sid's body sank to the ground with a heavy thud, and we gathered around him, sharing in his worry. Right then, my own troubles faded into the background, overwhelmed by the guilt of overlooking such a significant detail.