|Twelve|

I hadn't even opened my eyes the next morning- or possibly afternoon- when the pounding headache hit me like a tsunami. Bloody hell, how much did I drink? 

My sore eyes snap open, quickly, when I hear masculine snoring very close to my ear; with arms draped across my almost naked waist and my comfy pillow moving up and down in sync with the breathing. 

Shrieking in terror, I push myself away from the man as fast and far as I possibly can!

The man yelping in shock as I wake him in my panic. I fall off the bed and struggle to my feet as I get tangled in the vines of the sheets that try to hold me down. I glance around, head spinning at my hangover making me very nauseated at my fast movements, as i search for the door. I find it and dive for it, not caring I'm practically naked. 

Before I even cross the room, a very built man in only his boxers blocks my path. I don't think about it when I thrust out my fist and allow it to find it's target on the built man's face. His head snaps to the side at my strong punch as he curses; I don't give him long to recover as I rush through the only door not blocked in the room and into a small bathroom. I slam the door shut and lock it- throwing my back against it and bracing for the banging and shouting as he'll try to break it down and once he's in, show me the consequences of not being a good girl. My chest rising and falling almost a million miles an hour as I struggle to gain a little control of myself. 

"Shit, Zoe!" I hear a curse on the other side of the door. Instead of bracing against the door, like i probably shoulder do, I dive under the counter beside the door. It's just big enough to squeeze me under so when the man breaks in, I'll be able to jump straight out. 

I don't hear anything from the other side for a while- now I have no idea what he's up to. Taking in a hiccuping breath, I try to calm myself down and just bloody think! Could the room stop spinning now, please!

"Zoe?"hear a pained voice from the other side of the door. My hands fly up to cover my shocked mouth. Poppycock! 

"Owen?" I sob. I'm just as bad as him! Hurting someone when they did nothing to me, "I'm so sorry!" I cry into my hands but I don't dare open the door- not yet. I'm a monster! 

"Open the door princess. It's my fault, I shouldn't-" I can tell he's leaning his head against the door as he speaks; but I cut him off

"I hurt you!" I sob as I smash one of my hands into the white tiled floor beneath me. I'd forgotten about the pillows and throw in here from Owen last night, all pushed against the shower cubicle opposite me. 

"It's okay-" 

"No!" I shout, angry at myself for being so cruel to someone I love, "It's not okay! It's anything but okay! I'm just like-"

"Stop!" he says firmly, "You're nothing like him. You're kind and gentle, stunningly beautiful and whether you know it or not you've managed to capture my heart," he trails off at the end as if he's surprised at what he's just said himself.

"What?" I gasp, my remaining hand falling away from my mouth, the other still in a fist on the cool floor. 

"You heard me princess," he chuckles, "open the door, please." he says calmly like he's talking to a wild animal.  Biting my lip nervously, I slowly reach from under the counter and unlock the door, keeping most of my body hidden so when Owen walks in, still in only his boxers, it takes him a while to find me. 

"Oh, Zoe," he sighs as he crouches down and opens his arms for me to jump into. I don't. Instead I'm too busy staring at the red welt that's forming just beside his right eye. I did that! I hurt Owen! My Owen! I don't deserve him. If I've hit him once I'll probably do it again!

He hit my mum once, and then everyday for years after it; always saying he was sorry and would never do it again. He lied

"I did that." I say, my voice full of shame as I stare at his handsome face. His facial hair a little rougher after sleeping and his glossy hair a mess atop his head, "I hurt you!" I cry. 

He tries to lean for me but I scuttle back as much as I can, "I don't want to hurt you!" I gasp through my ragged breathing. 

"You won't," he smiles at me, not his pretty smile- this one didn't light up his eyes or make that crease beside his eyes, "I let you hit me Zoe. You were scared and if I grabbed you, Jesus, you would have screamed the building down because of me. Because of me Zoe, not you. You're scared of me, that's not you're fault" But it is my fault! I hit him! 

"But I hit you," I whisper, looking down at the tiled floor. I hear him move a little closer to me cautiously before his gentle hands pull my chin up to look at him. At that mark. My eyes eventually drift to his pleading ones, his blue eyes cloudy with the storm I know is raging on in his head. 

"You're so stubborn princess," He smirks at me,"I taught you how to punch for a reason didn't I?" he says more than questions- stupid rhetorical question, "to protect yourself. Whether that's against me or the T-Rex, I don't give two shíts. But, I care when you're upset Zoe. I can't stand you hiding away like this, from me. I want to make you safe, hell, I feel as though I need to keep you safe. If you tell me to go away with that funny accent of yours, then I will- I want you to be happy and if that's not with me then... that's fine" he struggles on the last few words.

It's not fine with him- or me. My life would be boring and grey without him. He makes me laugh and smile and shows me things I would never dream of. I think it's take me longer then it should have to realise my feelings for Owen. That I'm opening up to him even more than what I do to Vivian. It just feels...right, being with him. 

I slowly move out from under the counter and then throw myself into his awaiting arms. Instantly, his strong hold encases me and seems to make all my problems fade away; sunshine chasing away the rainy day. We just hold each other as we sit on the floor, my head nestled into the crook of his neck as his head rests atop of mine and a hand strokes my highlighted hair. 

I keep scrunching my eyes up at how dry they are from all this crying and weepy stuff, "my contacts were in all night" I moan as I realise why the stinging in my eyes is so strong. Stupid girl! Owens chuckle rocks me slightly as he kisses the top of my head. 

"Of all things," he whispers more to himself I think. I smile against his naked chest, the pounding hangover in my head having subside slightly enough to allow me to remember last night more clearly; and I can't stop the bright blush that has my whole face turning red.