TWO

Tom Riddle's dark brown eyes scanned the staff table as he passed judgement on his new professors

Tom Riddle's dark brown eyes scanned the staff table as he passed judgement on his new professors. Many of them looked utterly ridiculous in their extravagant robes for the celebration, their faces were happy and naive; evidently, they were not worth much respect. His chin rested on his fist as he sat bored at the Slytherin table, not slightly interested in the Sorting of his fellow class"mates", his eyes landing on the form of Albus Dumbledore.

The Transfiguration Professor was clad in horrid robes the colour of plum, smiling with a twinkle in his blue eyes that hid behind half-moon spectacles as he watched the nervous eleven-year-olds. There was something about Dumbledore that Tom Riddle did not like. His stare had a trait that made him uneasy, it had made him feel as if he was transparent when Dumbledore had visited him at the orphanage. Tom Riddle did not enjoy feeling see-through, he didn't want people knowing anything more than he told them.

The boy had long since toned out Avery and Lestrange's meaningless conversation with a roll of his eyes. He did not know how he was supposed to survive seven years sharing a dormitory with such idiots, but it was no matter, he would quickly have them at his service. If not via idolization, then by intimidation.

His brown eyes left Dumbledore and skimmed over the staff table again before he admitted that there was no detail left for him to pick apart nor any other person to pass judgement and with a resigned huff, turned back to the eleven-year-olds being Sorted. His lip curled in distaste as he watched the boy who was currently sitting on the three-legged stool. The old hat covered his face, but his tie was improperly knotted and his robe was ill-fitted. This was the kind of inferiority he would have to live with. "Hufflepuff!" called the Sorting Hat, and Tom let out a quiet scoff. As predicted.

As soon as Tom had arrived in Diagon Alley, he had made sure to find out everything about the world he had been deprived of. The hierarchy had quickly been established; Slytherins and Purebloods at the top, Ravenclaws, Gryffindors, and Half-bloods in the middle, Hufflepuff Mudbloods at the bottom. Nobody would ever find out about his mother's filthy blood, and if they did, they would unmistakably not be able to spread the word.

Tom knew all there was to know about the Wizarding world.  He knew just what any child who grew up around magic would, if not more.

Another student was Sorted and the next was called to the stool. A spark of interest immediately flickered in his eyes and Tom sat up straight, lifting his head from his hands to properly see the girl. There was an immediately noticeable difference in her manner; she walked up the steps and sat down on the stool with an unprecedented elegance, her head held high and hands clasped together neatly in her lap. Even for someone of only the age of eleven, this girl was incredibly beautiful. Her blonde hair was curled and tied up in a clean knot, her skin was fair like porcelain, her eyes radiant. The girl's uniform was impeccably taken care of, each detail carefully ensured to be in its place. She was well put together and didn't include the disgusting messiness of most of the other students.