Chapter Thirty Two

Today was the day of the trial. Elaine and Aaron reached the courthouse.
Christian was waiting for them outside.

“Today that bastard will be going in for good.” He said as he shook hands with Aaron.

“He deserves much worse but I just want this done.” Aaron replied. If it was up to him he would have shattered every single bone in his body with his bare hands.

They entered the courthouse and Christian guided Elaine up to the front while Aaron sat in the first aisle behind her. Dante and Rose walked in soon after along with Sam.

“Thanks for coming” he said to them. Dante simply nodded and sat down next to him while Rose hugged him.

“This is what family is for” Rose said as she settled down.

Sam leaned over and hugged Elaine and then sat down next to Rose.

The police officers brought in Franco who was wearing an orange jumpsuit. He saw Elaine and leered at her.

Elaine looked away and closed her eyes, imagining Aaron’s grey ones.

The judge soon arrived and the trial started. Christian presented his opening statements. He described the whole incident to jury, explaining the condition of Elaine right up to her post traumatic stress disorder and her panic attack around men.

The judge ordered Christian to present his witnesses.

Christian called on the stand Dr. Germann who gave her statements, stating and presenting the medical report, the concrete proof of the rape.

Dr. Simmons, the psychiatrist was next who under oath described Elaine’s mental health and the emotional trauma she suffered.

Aaron was called up after the doctors and he told the whole incident from his perspective and the condition he found her in. Rose and Dante also gave their statements.

Elaine was called on the stand last.

“Dr. Sparks, can you please describe to the court of law, the night of the incident. Please remember you are under oath.” Christian said.

Elaine nodded and gulped. She looked at Aaron who gave her an encouraging nod. Elaine told her side of the story, tears falling unabashed down her cheeks. It was like re living the whole thing.

“Thank you Elaine” Christian said softly as he handed her a tissue.

“And with Dr. Sparks being my last witness, I rest my case your honor.” Christian said and sat down.

“The defense may proceed.” The judge said.

Robert was quiet throughout the prosecution and didn’t cross examine one witness.

“I would like to call Dr. Elaine Sparks on the stand” He said. Aaron’s temper flared.

“I swear to God if he does something stupid I am going to kill him right here” Aaron muttered.

“So Dr. Sparks, as per the medical reports you are suffering from PTSD?”

“Yes”

“And you have panic attacks around men?”

“Objection your honor!” Christian exclaimed as he stood up

Aaron fisted his hands and his whole body tensed. Rose kept a hand on his forearm and shook her head.

“Objection overruled. You may precede Mr. Callaway”

“But yet you are currently in a relation with Mr. Aaron Clark. I saw you both walking in holding hands.”

“Objection your honor!” Christian objected again.

“Sustained. Get to the point Mr. Callaway. I don’t have time for your shenanigans.”

“What I am trying to say your honor is the fact is Dr. Sparks is outright lying about the fact that she has PTSD because the truth is this all is blatant lie. My client did not rape her. They were in a relation for five years during their med school. My client married another woman and Dr. Sparks simply wants revenge! Don’t you Dr. Sparks?” Robert said as he placed his hand on top hers and leaned in.

“No…” Elaine felt the panic setting in.

“Admit it Dr. Sparks!” He said as he leaned in further and Elaine screamed.

“Stay away from me!” She yelled as she tried to get out of the stand. Aaron got up and ran towards her.

“MR. CALLAWAY. MY CHAMBERS RIGHT NOW!” The judge yelled as he got up and left.

Elaine was shivering as she leaned against the stand. Aaron gathered her in his arms.

“I got you love. I got you” Aaron whispered as he lifted her up and carried her over to the chair.

"Now it is just formalities. He just chucked the case” Christian said as he handed Elaine a glass of water.

Aaron wiped her forehead with his handkerchief and kissed her head.

“It is almost over. You are so brave my love. Just few more minutes and this will all be far behind us” He said.

The judge re entered and Aaron went back to his seat.

“Mr. Callaway you have to pay a fine for 5000 dollars for harassing a witness in my court and report to the bar after this trial is over.” The judge passed his statement. “Now do you have another witness or shall I proceed to the closing statement?” He asked

“No, your honor. I don’t have any further witnesses. I rest my defense.”

“Prosecution, present your closing statement” The judge ordered and Christian got up and presented the closing statement followed by Robert.

“The jury has taken into consideration both the sides and will convene to make the decision. The court will pass the verdict after one hour.” The judge banged his gravel and got up.

Elaine got up and sat down next to Aaron, who simply held her hand.

“You want anything to drink?” Rose asked.

“No thank you”

“It is going to be done for good now Ellie” Sam said.

Soon the hour passed and the jury along with the judge re entered the court.

“The jury had come to its verdict. They found Dr. Franco Costello guilty on all accounts for the rape and mental harassment of Dr. Elaine Sparks. The court sentences Dr. Franco Costello to seventy years of imprisonment with no parole for fifteen years effective immediately. The court is adjourned.” With a final bang his gravel the judge dismissed the court.

Elaine sagged in relief.

“It is all over love. He got what he deserved” Aaron said as he hugged her. “You are so brave” He whispered to her and kissed her forehead.

“This calls for a celebration!” Sam said

“You got that right” Rose said as she got up. “Oh shit” She gasped.

“What happened?” Dante asked as he reached out for her.

“Are you okay?” Aaron asked worried.

“My water just broke”

Hope you got both Chapter 31 and 32.
Please vote and comment!