chapter 39 | long time, no see

Seven Weeks Ago

Seven Weeks Ago

Thursday Morning

"So, you see where I'm going with this? Who doesn't love food? Right?"

The phone rings. "Excuse me, one sec." I don't recognize the number, so I don't answer it. I set the phone down and continue. "Where was I? Oh. So, I thought to create a line of T-shirts with snarky, selfish, food-inspired slogans. You know, like Food Over Dudes, Tacos Over Paco, Corn Bread & Greens Over Steve, Lobster Over Robert. Take a look here, Troy." I pass him my iPad.

He swipes through the designs. "Yeah. I can see our customers loving these. We have a fun-loving base. They'll eat this up. I like the font on this one. Let's print a test run, I'll create a buzz on our social media channels. Advertise them a few weeks before they're available. Offer a promo for the first wave. I think these will perform well."

"Good." My phone rings again, same number. "Let me take this?" I step out of my living room and into my bedroom.

I look back to see Troy still swiping through designs.

"Hello?"

"Ari, it's Phoenix, don't hang up! I've been calling you like crazy for the last week. You know I bought a new phone just to talk to you? You've been on my mind."

"Funny, I wasn't thinking of you."

"You're mad at me, I get it. Look, I should've called as soon as we got back. I got focused on a project and let everything go. I was acting like a bachelor. I can't do that to you. Please, let me make it up to you."

"Really? You think you can just come and go as you please, huh? A simple explanation and a slap on the wrist and you're back in? Everything is all peachy?" I close the bedroom door. Troy doesn't need to hear this.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I just had business to take care of."

"Business? Business, right? Almost two weeks and two dead fish later, no word from you and here you are trying to get back in all warm and cozy with me like nothing ever happened. Classic asshole move. You know, I think my girls were right about what they said when they first met you. Look, I'm not falling for your games. What kind of business keeps you from answering your phone when I call? I sat there the whole vacation, patient as hell, as you answered every single time your phone rang. Now we get back and you don't have the time of day for me? Not even a few minutes to let me know you're alright?" I'm pacing in the tiny room. It feels good to let all my frustration out.

"Wait, the fish died?"

"Yes! Dead! Both of them!"

"You killed them?"

"Are you serious right now? You think I'd kill the fish? Really? We're stooping that low now?"

"I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry. What happened?"