Tumor Imposible

I woke up at 4:30 AM. I started playing music through my speakers. I hopped up and put on my outfit, looking in my mirror, my brown eyes popped a little with my mascara on and my olive skin helped. As I finished putting my hair into a bun, Taylor Swift's song Hey Stephen came on.

I picked my brush and may or may not have started singing into it and watched in my mirror... half way through the song dad knocks on my door. I scramble to turn off my speakers.

"Come in!" I yell a little embarrassed.

"Breakfast is downstairs, if you want some,"

"Ok, be down in a minute," I say shakily,

"Oh, and nice singing." He smiles and closes the door. I laugh and grab my backpack (no she's not wearing the purse). I walked out quickly and ran down to mom's room.

"Love you, good luck in St. Boredom Square!"

"Love you too honey, call me at lunch and update me!" I nod and run down to get breakfast.

------------

It's about noon when I finish my classes. I grab my lab coat and run to find a case to try and diagnose or a cool surgery to watch. Instead I come across my dad and one of the nurses looking at some labs.

"Whoa, that's quite the tumor. Dad, are you gonna try and get that out?"

"I don't know yet. Isaac, whose patient is this?"

"Yours." He explains how my dad is inspired while everyone else was defeated.

"Dad, I know you. And I know that you can do it!"

"You just want a cool surgery to watch,"

"Of course I do, but I want to see you do the impossible. No, I want you to save his life,"

--------

All the interns gathered in the lab skills room by request of my dad. He gave his spiel and gave everyone the chance. Christina was being her ambitious self and was being impatient. He called upon Jackson. He went and took perfect posture, he slid the pen in and brought it back up with ease. Christina went up next,

"Good luck!" I whisper.

"Who needs luck?" Sh says blowing off my attempt to be nice. I just laugh to myself. That's Christina for you. She goes for it, the pen hits the side of the cup, my heart drops into my stomach. She's gonna leave and I'll never see her again. She has no surgery.

She walks off. I go up to try, not that I'm legally allowed to do anything. I grab the pen and a stepstool, because, you know, I'm 5'2. I take the pen, most everyone kinda ready to leave, figuring that I'll fail. I set it in the cup, not a single thump until I hit the bottom. I pull out my pen and look at the dollar, my face goes from curiosity to shock.

"I hit the nose, right in the center. I hit the nose," The room goes dead silent. Not even dad thought I could do it. I guess those times I practiced my stitching through the microscope really payed off. The room breaks out into applause.

"Good job, Amity." Jackson says a little shocked.

"Thanks."

"Jackson, you're scrubbing in. Amity, I'm proud. You just earned your spot in the OR." I broke into a smile and tackled him with a hug. I get to be in an OR! I finally get to wear my scrubs with purpose!

.

I walk into the OR with a video camera and an extension cord to charge it. When I told mom she was so proud. I don't think I've ever been so excited, you know other then when I found out Mom and Dad wanted to adopt me.

We stood there for hours. Dad didn't move an inch. He just kept mumbling to himself. I heard the door open. I turned around, Richard Webber was standing before us. We had went behind his back and now he knew. They closed him up and now we had to tell him he was still living with a massive cancer that could end up paralyzing him.

--------

When we got home I ran to my room and changed, dad sat in the car a minute or two before walking upstairs. I wore a white t-shirt and a some black pajama shorts with my hair in a messy bun. I went into my mom and dad's room.

Dad tried to explain the tumor, but with something so complicated it was hard. He pushed the bed out and turned it around. He began drawing on the walls. He explained it with an absolute passion for it. Mom and I pitched in ideas and he kept shutting them down with logic.

It had been hours when we had exhausted all possibilities.

"But dad, there has to be a way,"

"Amity, I love you sweetheart. But I don't think there's a plan that could work,"

"Then don't use a plan! You could have cut but you didn't. He was ready for that outcome but you didn't do it. Dad, something's stopping you. I think you just have to start." Dad thinks for a moment but in that time I fall asleep against my mom. I was curled up next to her soundly sleeping while my parents continued to think.

------------(I know, lot's of time skips but whatever)

I go to prep Isaac for surgery while my dad gets everything in order. We were doing the surgery.

I walk into the room with my camera. Before my dad starts I smile at him,

"Just pick a place and start. You can do it dad," I see his cheeks lift up as a response. The surgery goes well overall. Until Jackson's hand cramps up. Lexie takes his place, letting the surgery take place again.

Dad questions which cord to cut. He asks everyone in the room which to do. Everyone gives him the same answer. That it's up to him.

"Amity?" I look at him I close my eyes and think.

"B," He cuts the cord and they begin to close up.

.

When he wakes up I look into the room from the door. He wiggled his toes, we did it. We saved him. I helped, I helped him. A feeling of pure joy overwhelms me and I can't help but to smile. This is how I know I want to be a surgeon. I want to save lives.