Chapter Thirty Three

“The baby is coming” Dante whispered.

“You think?” Rose exclaimed. “Call the damn ambulance. There is no way I am giving birth here!”

“When did your contractions start?” Elaine asked. Dante pulled out his phone and dialed 911.

“They have been on and off since yesterday but I counted them off as Braxton Hicks. It is my eighth month!” Rose said.

“Don’t worry. Just take deep breaths alright? We are going to time the contractions” Elaine said as she measured her pulse.

The ambulance arrived and soon they were all on their way to the hospital.

The ambulance unloaded Rose at the emergency bay.

“Dante please stay with me” Rose said. Her contractions were getting stronger.

Dante grabbed her hand. “Of course, I am here don’t worry darling”

Elaine and Aaron followed them in. Sam had left once the ambulance had arrived as she had gotten an important call.

“Please only the father of the child will accompany the mother into the labor and delivery. Rest all please wait in the waiting room down the corridor to your left.”

Aaron patted Dante’s back and took Elaine’s hand.

“I am going to have a godson” Aaron said as he watched the doctors take Rose away.

“Today has been a wonderful day hasn’t it?” Elaine said, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Come on, let’s go sit down” Aaron said and they headed down towards the waiting room.

After four hours of waiting, Dante rushed into the waiting room.
“I am a dad. Oh my god Aaron. I am a dad”

“Congrats man” Aaron said as he hugged Dante who had a dazed look on his face.

“Congratulations Dante. How are they?” Elaine asked.

“Healthy. Come on. She’s asking for you guys”

They walked into the recovery room to see a tired but ecstatic Rose holding onto a little bundle with a blue cap.

“Meet Kaden John Steele” Rose said pulled back the blanket.
Aaron went up to her but halted as he looked at the tiny human.

“He is so small.” Aaron whispered as he stroked his little finger. This was his godson.

“Hold him” Rose urged him.

“I…”  Aaron was scared.

“Here” Elaine said as she carefully took Kaden and placed him in Aaron’s arms.

“He is perfect” Aaron said as he steadied the baby in his arms.

Elaine looked at Aaron holding the baby so gently and she had this yearning in her heart.

“One day” she thought as she smiled at the thought of a baby Clark.

After spending an hour with Rose, Elaine and Aaron decided to head back home.

“I am so tired” Elaine said as she removed her heels and jacket. She padded barefoot the living room and sat down on the couch.

Aaron went to the kitchen and took out a bottle of wine along with two glasses. He came back to the living room and poured them each a glass.

“To today” He said as he raised his glass.

“To today” Elaine repeated and clinked her own glass against his.