Chapter Seventeen

Was it the roars from the elated students or the tiny little voice amidst the roar that put a violent force within me? All I could tell was I grabbed Chizo's right hand, and twisted it as she tried to hit my face again. She screamed out in pain and lifted her left hand for support. I knew instantly I had a slim chance to victory, so with all my strength, I pushed her off me and she landed on the rough surface face flat.

The deafening cheers and roars from the ecstatic students suddenly ceased and a cheery me jerked up in happiness. I had made a silent point and knew I needed to leave immediately if I didn't want my unexpected victory to turn to a loss. I was very weak and was certain if Chizo regains herself she would definitely beat me to a pulp.

Head high, I walked towards Amara who quietly stretched out her hand, my bag dangling below. It then dawned on me that none of them had expected me to survive, including those who had encouraged me to fight. They were all surprised and dumbfounded. Everyone was busy picking up their school bags with their faces colored with disappointments. I walked to the door like a mighty lioness and grabbed the knob, but an external force pushed it open and Mrs Ekema, an English teacher walked in.

"And who are those reportedly fighting?" she asked. I was mute so were the others. Mrs Ekema looked round the classroom and saw Chizo sitting on a locker, nursing her strained hand. She walked over to her noisily.
"You again!" she barked pointing a  finger at her. Chizo stood up instantly,  her face searching for an inexistent object on the floor.
"Who did you fight with?" she queried, her gaze fixed sternly on her. Chizo still visibly scared of her pointed at me. Mrs Ekema turned around and casted a hard stare at me, her stare garnished with a very disapproving look.

"And you are?" she howled walking over to a very perplexed me. I wasn't surprised that she didn't know me. I'd always been the very quiet and naive girl, and was sure some of my classmates might not even know I existed.
"Nneogo Iruka ma" I murmured
"Be more audible" she barked
"Nneogo Iruka ma" I was almost shouting. She nodded in displeasure. Then the other students began sneaking out of the classroom one after the other. But Mrs Ekema was more alert when Amara tried to escape. She grabbed her hands and pulled her back.
"No one leaves until I say so!" she ordered. It then dawned on me that I was in a very hot soup. I was going to get punished both in school and at home, but my punishment at home scares me the most.

We were over twenty seven students left in the class now and the teacher beckoned on a senior boarder to write our names on a long piece of paper. She wanted to ensure that no one escapes her punishment. Her instruction was carried out to the least. She then ordered Chizo and I to kneel on the bare floor and raise our hands. She placed a heavy concrete block on each of our palms and sternly instructed us never to let them break. We nodded in pain.
For the other students, she walked them to her office and with the list made by the senior student, she called them out one after the other. She gave them seven strokes each and freed them to go. I was very worried not for this per say, but for the next punishment I would receive at home.

Almost an hour later, Mrs Ekema walked back into the class and began another round of scrutiny, she wanted to know why we had fought. Chizo lied that I had called her names which I refuted immediately. I explained in truthful details what had transpired and for the first time ever I saw someone believe me. It was more surprising because she never knew me, she was a complete stranger.

"You're very meddlesome Chizo and that makes you troublesome. No day passes by that we don't get reports of your fight with a student. I will have to get your details and report to your parents. You can't keep bullying your fellow students." she said. I could feel Chizo shivering. I guess the mere mention of her parents sent shock waves to her body and I knew she must be so afraid of them
"I'm sorry ma it won't happen again" she pleaded.
"That's what you've been saying for the past year. You won't learn until you're punished" Mrs Ekema reinstated. Facing a shivering me she growled
"And where do you live?"
"Very closeby ma. Just after the mast" I responded.
"And do I have to invite your parents...
"No ma please" I interrupted unintentionally
She watched me for a few seconds and added
"But I will have to report to them when next I catch you fighting". I nodded in agreement but incidentally the concrete block fell hard from my hands and broke into pieces.