Chapter 46 - Hollow Shell

Good song up there! Try listening to it.

"Who's there?" I heard Asher yell out from the hall, probably after hearing the stranger.

"Excuse me?" I asked the stranger standing if front of me, claiming to be my...husband.

Stupid prank, I suppose. People these days.

"I know it's a shock, but I didn't know how else to say it, okay?" The stranger spoke, exasperated. "I'm more of a straightforward person."

I took a moment to process that. He was a good prankster. Maybe a little too good, considering his very well maintained serious expression. Not wanting to insult him, I decided not to voice my thoughts.

"I think you've got the wrong address," I answered, coolly.

"I think I've not," he replied back. "Look, can we just talk for a while?"

He won't give up easily, would he?

"Who's there?" Asher yelled, from the hall.

"Uh..." I didn't know what to say. Nevertheless, he was starting to creep me out.

There's a limit, even for pranks, especially when you're involving strangers. He seemed to have no issues crossing them.

"Daniel Winston, delighted to meet you," he answered Ash's question to me. "Now, may I please come in? You might want to sit down before I explain anything."

His name sounded pretty posh and familiar, and if he is as wealthy as he looks, why'd he play a prank on a nobody, like me? It could be made up too. The name, I mean.

Nevertheless, I decided to act casual.

"I'm sorry, uh, Daniel, strangers aren't welcome in my house," I replied. "Besides, is it something important?"

"Of course. Our marriage is something important to discuss about," he scoffed. "As I previously told you."

Okay, this was way too much for me to handle. I let out a small laugh.

"Okay, Daniel, enough with this whole 'marriage' joke thing," I said, making hand gestures in the air. "It was a good prank, but come on, you're way too old to play these childish games, not to mention, with a stranger."

I gave him a sarcastic smile and was prepared to slam the door on his face.

"I'm not fucking-" he began with a angered tone, but cut himself off and took a deep breath. "Look, I'm not joking. This is not a prank. It's all true and I'm serious, Jessica Charles Walkers."

My smiling vanished abruptly. How in the world does he know my entire name? Is he supposed to know my middle name too? Did I tell him that?

That not possible. Even Cass doesn't know my middle name. Heck, it's been so long that I'd almost forgotten it.

Upon noticing my astonished expression, he smirked.

Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped a little and turned around to find out it was Asher.

"What's wrong, muffin?" Asher asked, eyeing the stranger. "Who's this?"

"Daniel Winston," he answered. "And I need to speak to Jessica Charles Walkers this instant."

He needs to stop calling me that.

"You have a middle name?" Asher looked at me with a incredulous look. "And I never knew?"