xxv. coming home

"Remember that time," Liza snorted, spilling some of the wine on the bed , "when we snuck out to go to that panic at the disco concert?"

I wheezed. I had already finished my glass and reached for her, only to be swatted away. "Yeah and Dad caught us sneaking back in and threatened to tell Mom and take away our car privileges, but then we turned around and told him if he did it we'd tell her that he and the maid were having a secret affair?"

Liza slapped her knee. "The proud look in his eyes, as we blackmailed our first family member?" She sighed, wistfully. "Life was simpler back then."

"Yeah, children don't know how they really do have it," I said. "They can be as idiotic, irresponsibly racists and as sexist as they want and then when they get older, just say that they were young and stupid. High school means literally zero, I mean it's useless, and every tv show you watch is awesome, despite how shitty you will come to realize it is when you get older."

Liza shrugged. "Being an adult sucks donkey tits, and I wish someone pushed me in front of a moving train the day before my eighteenth birthday."

I stared. She blinked. "Too soon?"

"Here I thought at least one of us in this family would have some respect for the dead," I muttered.

"It would make sense that it would be me," Liza said with a light shrug. "I am not actually a Red, after all."

"You sure got the last name," I muttered. "And the steely resolve, and the business savvy, the looks, the brains. You're more of a Red that I might ever be." I lowered my head a bit. "It makes me wonder why Dad gave me his shares and not you."

Liza waited for a moment. "Well, not only do we live in a male-dominated society, not only are you his white male heir and not-"

"In any of this supposed to be making me feel better?" I cut in.