14. Better

A/N : Much love for Texas, and anyone in the path of the upcoming hurricanes. Stay safe my friends! 🖤

Staten Island, hours after the Ferry incident.

      Peter Parker sat alone on the top of a nearby building. He watched from afar as everyone was rescued from the ferry that was cut in half by the dangerous weapons. The flying Vulture man was there, Peter could have been killed but instead he put everyone else's lives at risk. A figure was flying towards him as the late afternoon sun was close to setting.

      Iron Man flew over his head and hovered over the roof "Previously on Peter screws the pooch, I told you to stay away from this. Instead, you hacked a multi-million dollar suit so you could sneak around behind my back doing the one thing I told you not to do" Tony Stark's voice could be heard from behind the Iron mask.

"Is everyone okay?" Peter asked, not able to look up to his mentor.

      "No thanks to you" Tony said, not softening up the blow at all. The billionaire wasn't having it with this teenage boy. Too many things were going on with Tony at the moment.

      "No thanks to me?" Peter pulled himself to his feet and started across the roof towards the Iron Man who was still floating in the air "Those weapons are out there and I tried to tell you about it but you didn't listen. None of this would have happen if you would have just listened to me!" His voice cracked slightly, but he kept going strong "If you even cared you'd actually be here"

      The suit above him opened up, revealing a very much present Tony Stark who stepped down from the open suit wearing a black blazer. He gave the teen a smug frown as Peter realized that he was wrong "I did listen kid. Who do you think called the FBI, huh?" Tony raised his eyebrows. Realization filled Peters brown eyes "Did you know that I was the only one who believed in you? Everyone else said that I was crazy to recruit a fourteen year old kid-"

"I'm fifteen" Peter said softly.

      "No, this is where you zip it!" Tony's voice raised, causing Peter to flinch "The adult is talking. What if someone would have died tonight? Different story right? Because that's on you" he pointed "And if you died..." his mind took him to another person "I feel like that's on me" he placed his hands on his chest "I don't need that on my conscious" there was already too much there.

"Yes sir, I'm sorry, I-"

"Sorry doesn't cut it" Tony cut him off.

      Peter looked away, his voice growing small as he stood before the Iron Man "I just wanted to be like you..." he admitted, looking back to Tony with glazed eyes.

      "And I wanted you to be better" Tony said simply, hiding the fact that, that wasn't the first time he has heard something like that. 'You don't want to be like me' Tony thought to himself, remembering the young and small voice "Okay, it's not working out, I'm going to need the suit back"

"What?! For how long?" Peter asked, becoming paranoid.

"Forever" Tony snapped.

      "No no no, please" Peter begged "You don't understand, this is all I have. I'm nothing without this suit!"

"If you're nothing without this suit then you shouldn't have it"