FIVE

Eliza stifled a yawn as she spread butter on her toast, squeezing her eyes shut as if the action would rid her of the sleepiness still present at the edge of her mind

Eliza stifled a yawn as she spread butter on her toast, squeezing her eyes shut as if the action would rid her of the sleepiness still present at the edge of her mind. It was very uncommon for Eliza Galway to ever feel tired, much less for it to be noticeable on the outside. She was always energetic and looked well rested. And perhaps that was why Atha's expression was one of concern as she watched her best friend across the table

"Are you well?" the girl asked, her brow furrowing just slightly.

Eliza exhaled heavily as she rubbed her eyes again and looked up at her friend. "I'm just a little tired," she said, attempting to smile. "I'm afraid I didn't sleep all to well last night."

"How come?" asked Atha, placing down her utensils to give her full attention to the blonde across her. "You always sleep like a baby, I think people are envious of it."

"I ... can I tell you something?" she asked, lowering her voice so that the group of fourth-years two seats away wouldn't hear.

The look of concern on Atha's face intensified but she nodded. "Of course."

"And you swear you won't laugh?"

"I - I won't laugh," the girl replied, only growing more worried at the seriousness.

The blonde sighed, casting a quick look around to make sure that nobody was listening until she spoke. "Last night, when I was returning to the common room," Eliza spoke in a voice barely above a whisper, her shivers running on her skin as she felt incredibly uneasy once more, "Tom showed up. And - and he said that I shouldn't be walking in the corridors at night, and I asked him then why should he. And he said 'nothing here is a danger to me, I am a danger to it'. What could he mean by that? I was absolutely terrified, and ... and I couldn't sleep."

"I must admit that that sounds rather unsettling," Atha said after a moment. "But surely he meant nothing by it."

"You're right," she sighed as she finally picked up her toast. "But I cannot help but feel so incredibly uncomfortable around him. There's just something about him that isn't quite right."

"I must agree with you, and -"

But just then Professor Slughorn appeared, handing all the students their schedules. "Ah, Miss Galway," he exclaimed gleefully as he reached them. "Can I assume you will entertain me at the first Slug Club dinner next Friday?"

"Of course, Sir," said the girl, a wide smile on her face though it lacked slightly in authenticity, "I'll be there."

"And you as well then Miss Creage?" he said, his large hay-blonde moustache twitching as he smiled. "I expect you will earn us another victory of the Quidditch Cup."

"Oh, we'll win, don't worry Professor," Atha said with a grin. "I'll be damned if I let Ravenclaw win."

"Excellent!" Slughorn rejoiced. "I quite like the way the House and Quidditch Cup look in my office. I must say that green is a very complimentary colour for them."