Chapter 27 - Gettin' The Heck Outta Here

We bounded back into the lab to find GoGo examining the blue serum. It was the colour of electric blue, the colour of those gross artificial blue drinks, the color of my backpack which was sat inside my safe, warm bedroom right now.

"This looks....weird." She muttered, as I placed my large gun on the bench by the box.

"Careful." Blaze Boy murmured, walking over to GoGo and gazing at the blue liquid. "Didn't one of those guys say something about good to bad?"

"This must be the cause of all these superhero attacks." I explained, looking over at Blaze Boy. "Let's put it in the box and get out of here."

"You must feel so..powerful with this inside you." GoGo murmured, gazing at the liquid. Uh oh. 

"GoGo, can you put it back in the box?" I asked, walking over to her. Instead of placing it gently in the box, like I had expected her to, she stepped back and leaned against the wall, still looking at the needle and it's contents.

"The power. I've never had anything like that. Nobody knows who I am. I'm sick of that." GoGo continued. I glanced over at Blaze Boy, who was looking worried.

"GoGo, please put it back in the box." He said, stepping towards her. She backed away from him.

"What would happen if I..." Without warning, she jabbed the needle through her pink suit and into her arm, and injected the blue serum into herself. For god's sake.

"You've got to be kidding me." I murmured, watching in horror as GoGo dropped the empty needle to the floor and looked up at us. Blaze Boy slowly tiptoed back towards the door, and I followed him.

"Time for my chance at power!" GoGo shouted, before zooming over towards us. I shot a jet of water at her as Blaze Boy opened the door, and I sprinted down the corridor, looking back to find GoGo hot on our heels.

"Run to that large room that we've passed!" Blaze Boy yelled, before firing flames from his feet and launching himself into the air. He turned around and fired at the oncoming GoGo, who fought back by ejecting discs from her wheels and firing them like Frisbees. One of them hit my leg, and I felt a surge of pain as it cut my calve, but I had to keep running. I had to get out of here alive. 

I reached the end of the secret corridor and threw open the door, before skidding to the left and heading towards the large, open-planned room. As I entered the room, Blaze Boy landed next to me and began running, but suddenly a swarm of guards came bounding from the other corridor, blocking our only escape. I stopped and turned around, only to find GoGo skating towards us, looking terrifying. It's weird. A few minutes ago she was the kind of cool superhero with short, brown hair and a pink suit. Now she looked like a killing machine.

"We're trapped." I muttered, frantically looking around. The guards were aiming their guns at Blaze Boy and I.

"Well done for stating the obvious." Blaze Boy retorted, looking around at well. He glanced up at the ceiling, and then his eyes darting back down. "Hold on to me."

"Oh for god's sake, not this again. I'm fine, thank you." I huffed, with my back to him. One of the guards was yelling something at us, but I wasn't listening.

"I'm not joking. On the count of three, hold on to me and don't let go."

"Why?!"

"Just trust me. We're gettin' the heck outta here."

Sighing, I prepared myself to leap towards him as he began counting quietly.

"1..." The guard had stopped shouting, and the troop was slowly advancing towards us.

"2..." I looked over to find GoGo bearing one of her razor sharp Frisbees.

"3!" I flung myself at Blaze Boy as he shot into the air, and bullets began raining around us. He zoomed up towards a large air vent, and I clung onto his waist as he began accelerating. I peered down to the ground to find all of the guards shooting frantically, and GoGo firing those deathly Frisbees at us. 

A bullet skimmed my leg, and so I shot water downwards, along with Blaze Boy's accelerating flames. The water and fire created a mist as Blaze Boy slowed down to release the vent on the air tunnel. We were disguised for the moment. He grabbed it with his one free arm (the other was holding me) and slung it to the ground, and it plummeted through the mist.

"Hang on!" He bellowed, before he shot up through the air vent. My heart was hammering in my chest as we ascended the vertical air vent, and I saw daylight for the first time in at least a few hours. I've never been so happy to see the orange colour of the sky at dawn. Seriously, dude.

After what felt like an eternity of flying upwards, the daylight getting brighter, the sounds getting sharper, the smell of fresh air getting closer, Blaze Boy burst through the air tunnel and upwards, so San Francisco was spread out infront of us like a miniature toy set. Dawn blanketed the city in the hues of orange, pink and yellow, and the Golden Gate bridge was still alive with car's headlights.

"That was a close one. ElectroNite is bound to be on our heels now." I said breathlessly, looking up at Blaze Boy as he navigated his way towards the small forest we had first arrived in, all those hours ago.

"You can say that again. Now we know the cause of the bad superheroes as well." Blaze Boy replied, descending through the tree tops and landing with a thump on the forest floor. I stepped back from him and ran my hand through my hair, wincing as it encountered multiple knots. That was gonna hurt.

"Hey, what are you kids doing out here?!" I heard a male voice say from behind me. Blaze Boy and I spun around to find a San Francisco police officer standing infront of us, looking confused. For a moment, I panicked, thinking we would call our parents (if Blaze Boy even had parents) and we would be sentenced for trespassing or something. But then I remembered, they didn't know who we were.

"We're checking out these...er...leaf types." Blaze Boy stammered, picking up a fallen leaf from the ground and showing it to the officer. I had to stop myself from laughing. What a joke.

"Oh really? Well then perhaps you'd like to come back to my car and tell me more about leaves." The officer replied, ushering for us to follow him. No thanks, I wanted to go home and sleep.

"Sorry officer, we've got some leaf analyse to be doing." I retorted, before shooting upwards and out of the trees. I heard the now-familiar sound of flames behind me, and looked back to find Blaze Boy zooming to catch up with me.

"We were checking out leaf types? Seriously?!" I shouted, over the roar of the wind. Blaze Boy smirked.

"What else was I meant to say?! We were sneaking into a villain's headquarters and almost got killed?!" He shouted back. I simply smiled and rocketed off towards San Fran, over the Golden Gate river.