SIX

Tom Riddle's face was masked with its regular lack of expression as he sat at the back of another classroom, a completed Herbology review test in front of him on the desk

Tom Riddle's face was masked with its regular lack of expression as he sat at the back of another classroom, a completed Herbology review test in front of him on the desk. Professor Knotley had opted to begin the term with a pop-quiz to make sure everybody was at the level they needed to be and thus the Herbology class was not held in one of the greenhouses like normal but in a free classroom on the first floor. 

His eyes were once more trained on the figure of Eliza who was seated nearer to him this time, but further to the side that he saw her profile rather than the back of her head. Her quill was moving quickly as she answered each question in detail, barely having to ever pause to think. It annoyed him that she was not transparent like everyone else. Other he could read, he could know everything within ten minutes of watching them, five if they engaged in conversation. 

But he had been studying Eliza Galway for six years from the distance and somehow he still did not have her wrapped around his finger. She was much more challenging to read than others. Perhaps he would have to get closer before he would know her perfectly. They had barely ever spoken, much less alone. Maybe that was the problem.

A small frown came to his face at the prospect. He did not like having to change his plans. Uncalculated changes could far too easily lead to further complications which threatened to ruin everything else. But he would recover, he always did.

The bell rang outside the room announcing the end of class. "Quills down, everyone," called Professor Knotley from the front of the class, taking out her wand to summon the tests which landed on a neat pile on her desk. "Anyone who receives a P or below will see me in detention on Friday, so let's hope you didn't let yourselves forget everything during the summer."

The students filed out of the classroom, some with looks of anxiety at their result whilst others merely looked relieved it was over. Avery and Lestrange fell into step beside him, though Tom ignored both as he watched Eliza comfort Atha Creage who was insisting that she had not received an A and would have to join detention of Friday.

All the professors they had the rest of the day spent the class either expressing the importance of N.E.W.T.s along with their difficulty, stressing how vital it was for them all to study; or by testing them on the course material from the past six years with quizzes. 

Byt the time Tom was making his way toward the Slytherin Dungeons after supper, he had rolled his eyes so many times that it was surprising they had not rolled out of his head. The utter stupidity of the people he was forced to share classes with never failed to surprise him. Once he would leave the school they would all see him for what he truly was, he would no longer have to hide his true greatness and power for the sake of appearances. The world would be begging for mercy at his feet.

The boy took a seat in one of the emerald armchairs, Lestrange and Avery instantly sitting nearby and soon Lealand Rosier, Gregorio Nott, and Abner Mulciber joining them. Still, Tom did not say a word as he stared at the flames in the fireplace, deep in thought. And none of them said a word, too scared to speak in his presence.

Hours passed and the common room began to empty as students headed to their dormitories, though Tom Riddle remained in his armchair. The clock was about to strike midnight when the entryway opened and a girl walked in. Alone with her bag slung over her shoulder.

Eliza brushed a stray hair behind her ear as she approached the corridor at the end of which her dormitory lay. She had been in the library working on the already enormous pile of homework they had received to get it out of the way and time had once more escaped her. It was a flaw of her character perhaps, she could get too focused on something and not even realise hours had already passed.

"Walking alone at night again? I'm surprised you'd venture to do so again ... and so soon." The girl jumped slightly as she snapped her head toward the fire. The dying flames cast little light into the dark but she could see the frame of Tom Riddle stand up from an armchair.

"I was studying," she said, her voice a tad quieter than it usually was. "I'm afraid I lost track of time."

"With the Mudblood I suppose," said Tom as he walked nearer to her and Eliza instinctively took a few steps back.

Though temporarily her intimidation was subsided as a small spark of anger lit inside her. "I really do not find the use of that term necessary, Tom," she said, her voice rather cold as she arched a carefully trimmed eyebrow.

"You don't?" he asked, raising his own eyebrows as he stood right in front of her once more just as the night before. "It's what he is, isn't it?"

"People shouldn't be called derogatory terms merely based on their parentage," Eliza said stubbornly as she looked up to meet his eyes and then she suddenly felt incredibly endangered again.

A smug smirk tugged at the corners of his lips as Tom took note of her stance wavering, her breaths becoming weaker. "I don't think you should spend time with him anymore, Eliza," he said.

"I'm afraid who I spend my time with is no concern of yours, Tom." Her voice was much quieter than she would have liked and the hint of a smirk grew a little on his face. He was enjoying taunting her, she could tell.

"Perhaps not," said Tom, arching an eyebrow as Eliza once more inhaled a shaky breath, "for now."

She remained still for a moment longer, her heart painfully drumming in her chest as she swallowed. "I'll bid you good night," the girl whispered, finally managing to move as she quickly made her way to toward her dormitory.

Tom watched her leave, his mind quick at work to pick her apart. There was something so alike to Dumbledore in the girl. And then he realised exactly what he was missing, the piece that he had not placed: love.

The smirk on his lips grew as he collected his own belongings and left the common room for his own dormitory. He knew now exactly how to have her as scared of him as everyone else would be. "Love" was something for the naive and foolish. It was something so easy to take away. And once it was gone there would be nothing left of Eliza Galway except the toy he wanted.

 And once it was gone there would be nothing left of Eliza Galway except the toy he wanted

this was a little shorter than usual but whatever it was still creepy

hope you enjoy, love y'all