Epilogue

*** THIS EPILOGUE ENDS WITH AN OPEN-ENDING. AS THERE IS NO SEQUEL IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH A NOT-COMPLETELY WRAPPED UP/HAPPY ENDING, PLEASE DON'T READ ANY FURTHER ***

Five Months Later

As I walk into the kitchen, the smell of bacon makes my mouth water.

Harvey stands at the stove, shirtless, wearing a pair of loose track pants. Mia sits on the bench, wearing his t-shirt as he places a cooked piece of bacon into her mouth.

"Glad to see you feel comfortable around us," I roll my eyes, gesturing to Mia's bare legs. Harvey picked up another piece of bacon. I reach out and pinch it from in between his fingers, popping it into my mouth.

"Hey, that was for me!" Mia grumbles.

"Snooze you lose," I shrug, moving around them and towards the fridge.

"Who's excited for their first day of University?" Harvey asks in a cheerful voice.

Mia and I both exchange a look of dread as Hayden walks in. He grunts in response. His hair is sticking up in odd angles. My eyes land on his bare chest where a dark mark brands him from last night. I feel my cheeks warm as I think back to it. We had sat down to watch Mean Girls, something I have been trying to get him to do for ages before we got... distracted.

"All very enthusiastic, apparently," Harvey sarcastically says.

I pour everyone a glass of juice before going around to the kitchen island and drawing up a seat. I watch as Mia leaned over, turning the radio on. Hayden is rubbing his eyes, yawning while Harvey is bopping up and down as he cooked.

These are my housemates.

Harvey, Mia, Hayden, and myself found a share-house about twenty minutes from the University. Even though some of my classes are spread out, due to the public transport here, I can easily come and go from Uni as I please. I somehow managed to get my license, even though I probably wasn't ready, but have decided to catch lifts and public transport to Uni will be safer for now, as driving through the city is a bit full-on for a new driver, such as myself.

Mia had her heart set on Melbourne, but when she got an offer from Sydney and was wait-listed for Melbourne, she made the decision to move here with us. It made sense as we had another room to rent.

We all moved here a couple of months ago, to get used to our new life before classes started. Harvey's mother rings us non-stop, often sending up care packages and food. It's awesome because we don't have to cook as often.

Hayden's mother sold the house and moved into a group-home facility. She met a guy there who is also wheelchair-bound, meaning that eventually, Hayden might end up having a step-dad. We still never speak of Hayden's biological father. I brought up the topic of visiting him once, only to be shut down. Hayden wants nothing to do with him and I respect his decision.

Quickly, we had become our own, little family.

"Breakfast is ready!" Harvey sings and we eagerly grab plates.

I load up my plate with toast and bacon, making a sandwich. Everyone else spread egg across the toast "like normal people", according to Mia.

"First class is at eleven - how cool is that? Starting at eleven?" I ask to no one in particular, my mouth full.

"Yeah but we all have a swim meet at 9. Except for you," Mia pointedly says to Harvey.

"Yep, you suckers have to be there early and I get to relax. Who's the real winner here?"