Chapter 34

There was nothing better than the feel of the wind rushing through his fur.

Milo felt free and happy and as close to complete as he could when he was running as a wolf. His senses were sharper and this time, unlike the lonely runs he had taken before, he had Katarina, running alongside him. She was keeping up with his speed well and continually nudging him in playfulness. He loved every minute of it.

Katarina let him take the lead, instinctively. He led her off the usual track and along the side of the town borders. There was a forest near her house that wasn't their usual roaming spot. He had discovered it not long after turning Alpha and it brought him a strange peace to wander the unfamiliar land there.

Now he began to wonder if that peace had been because he was so close to his mate. So close and yet never knowing it.

Milo wanted to laugh. Instead, he slowed to a walk as they entered the trees that had so often given him comfort.

Katarina walked by his side, small and delicate with that beautiful silvery grey fur.

He walked closer and nudged her muzzle with his own.

Katarina turned and licked his face. Inside, Milo filled with warmth and returned the show of affection with a lick of his own. He nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck and gave her a teasing bite. Even the taste of her fur, to his wolf, was intoxicating.

They continued walking until they reached a clearing in the middle of the woods. He smiled as her eyes lit up at the view.

The whole clearing was a wilderness of colour and scent. There were wild poppies and tulips, Katarina's favourite flowers, and all kinds of wild flowers growing through the clearing. The grass was long and full of dew from the rain that morning. There was even a host of butterflies and bees swarming amongst the plants, as happy as they were.

Katarina turned wet, dark, emerald eyes on him and he knew that she understood how special this place was. Not just to him. Not any more. But to them.

Milo let a smile creep into his own eyes, their colour magnified from dark blue to sapphire with the change from human to wolf. Everything about them now was heightened and more beautiful.

I love you, little wolf. I'll never love another. He promised.

Katarina's little wolf, barely reaching up to his big wolf shoulders walked over and nudged him lightly, rubbing the side of her face into his shoulder. He could feel the love in that caress.

Love me, Milo. Love all of me. She asked, with a small tentative touching of her nose against his.

Milo smiled internally and pounced on her. His great big wolf knocked the little one over and a small bark escaped her in laughter. Katarina's wolf rolled around in the long grass, emitting little whimpers and sounds of happiness. He lay on his belly, low in the grass, watching her with delight. She was such a tiny little thing. Graceful, sweet and fragile.

Milo crawled over while she wasn't paying attention and just a few feet away, readied himself for a pounce. He lay low, watching carefully for his moment and when it came, he sprang from his position and landed in empty grass.

Confused, he looked around and fell to the grass, his feet knocked out from under him as something landed on his back. His little wolf had surprised him and sharp teeth were locked around his neck, worrying at his fur mischievously.

Milo grinned and threw himself to the side, on the grass. Again he landed on nothing. How could she be so quick?

He lay there, sprawled in the grass on his side, enjoying the fun and carefree time they had stolen to be with each other.