Chapter 4

It took a long time to use his only clean clothes and water supplies, to clean off his mate. Leo wasn't even aware of how much time passed. He was completely focused on Angel and his mate was leaning against him, very quietly. Even his thoughts were quiet. All he could sense in his mind was a terrifying numbness that he seemed to sink into on a daily basis.

He was as clean as they were going to manage at this stage.

Angel had on his new clothes. Leo helped him sit down and turned the rest of his attention to Angel's wounds.

He used his last clean piece of fabric and some herbs that he chewed on for a while, to get the juices going. He cleaned the wounds on his hands and arms, layering them with the herbs. It didn't take long to do and Angel was finally able to relax.

Leo watched with a worried frown, as Angel instantly sank back onto the floor to lie down.

I'm so tired, he confessed.

He could tell that Angel felt better for being cleaner and in new, fresh clothes. But the effort of it all had taken far too much out of him. He lay down next to mate and opened his mouth to speak, when his mate sat up again and moved into the darkest corner of the room.

Lie down and sleep. You must rest, he insisted softly, reaching out to brush his hand over Angel's dark hair. It was wet now and no longer smelled. He was scared for his mate; for what he went through; for what he was suffering.

I do not sleep well. It is best if I do not close my eyes, Angel replied.

There was fear in his eyes that made Leo's heart ache. What could he do to make his mate happy? He lay down in the space beside him and gestured to his mate to join him. For tonight, my love, close your eyes. I will keep you safe, he promised, watching as Angel smiled at him. He looked so happy at those words that he didn't protest. He lay next to him and looked up at the ceiling, radiating happiness. Come closer, Leo urged.

Angel moved onto his side, with a slight wince of pain, and lay himself across Leo. He lay his head on his shoulder and draped himself across his chest. My love. I have often dreamt that you would say those words to me. Are you sure this is not a dream? he asked.

Leo laughed out loud. Do you often dream while fully awake?

Not usually, Angel's voice said that although it wasn't normal, it wasn't entirely unexpected either.

Then how can I be a dream?

Angel snuggled a little closer, as if afraid that he would vanish at any minute. He feared he would find himself alone, still huddled in the corner, crying over his injuries. But Leo had taken care of them.

You will stay as long as you can, Angel said, in understanding. It will be sad when you are gone. I have not had a conversation of this length in years,

It was sad that his mate just accepted that he might have to leave very soon. It was even worse to know that he had been deprived of basic human comfort and companionship, for more years than was good for anyone's mental or spiritual health. Wolves were pack animals and shifters thrived in a large community. What Angel's captors were doing to him went so far beyond inhumane.

Leo tried not to think of the news that Constantine had given him. That Angel was missing the most necessary tool for speech. They were talking now. If he only ever talked inside his head, he could happily live his life that way, as long as his mate was happy.

Well, rest up. You'll be having a heck of a lot more of them, as soon as we get you out of here, Leo promised.

I would enjoy that,