Chapter 30

A/N: Ah, you lovelies and you're burning hatred for Xander.

It's amazing really.

~~~

The moon had risen.

Its deep red color filled the sky not too long ago and I could already see a difference in Nico.

I watched nervously from the couch, holding a pillow against my body as Nico quickly paced around the room with his gaze glued to the floor.

Nico had told me to stay there and to stay quiet, so that's exactly what I was doing.

The first effects of the blood moon were already beginning to show themselves.

His breathing was rigid and heavy and although I couldn't get a good look at his face, I was pretty sure that his pupils had turned to slits.

I was too afraid to make any kind of noise. I knew that their mindsets changed as they did during this night and pretty much only focused on their bloodlust and the pain that they felt because of it.

I noticed how Nico's hands were shaking even after he had balled them into fists.

This mornings conversation kept creeping back to me as my worries grew and grew. Something happened to his last pet during the last blood moon.

I could give a pretty good guess as to what happened, but Nico was very upset once  Xander brought it up.

Which made me even more nervous.

Nico stopped in the middle of the room facing away from me, his body trembling as he took in a deep breath.

His head cocked to the side, eyes staring out the window. Something akin to a growl exited his throat before he whipped his head back and continued pacing.

I was confused but just slightly relieved that he didn't even glance at me.

Part of me wanted to hide, even though I knew hiding was a futile effort.

Every sense that a vampire became enhanced once their transformation was complete.

Although Nico's transformation was taking longer than I thought it would.

The pet master would have already been browsing through the cages and pouncing on whichever pet he felt like taking, perhaps he would have already moved on to the second one.

My breathing hitched as I recalled those many memories, now knowing that I was the one that was going to be fed from. Knowing that the possibility of me dying was higher than ever.

I soon found myself to begin shaking as well, grip tightening on the pillow.

Every pet knows that this time would come for them, but even that cant compare for when it actually happens.

Even though I knew that Nico was trying to fight it, him and I both knew that he couldn't fight it forever.

Those kinds of predatory instincts run through him like his own blood, only allowing him to fight it for so long until it consumes him. He knew that once it did, he wouldn't have much control over what would happen next.

It was the instincts that kept vampires alive no matter what once their species first began to grow.

It was a fight that he could never win and he knew it.

I knew it.

I looked back up to see that Nico had gone almost completely still save for the quick rise and fall of his chest.