Chapter 20

When Katarina woke, she found Milo pacing the floor, worried. A quick recap of his conversation with Carlton and Leo reassured her that they were taking the necessary precautions to ensure that Angel and Leo made it home safely. But that didn't stop him from worrying.

There were too many things that could go wrong. She lay a hand over her son and said a silent prayer that he would get the life he had always dreamed of.

Yosi and Daisy had agreed to move into the house with them, which kept them happy within their own relationship. It also brought Daisy and Katarina closer, as they discussed Angelus' arrival in a few months time. It was the only real way they could help out with preparing for the arrival of a baby, without letting the rest of the pack in on the secret.

Milo wanted to wait another week or two before saying anything, since he knew that things were already hectic. What with the search for the last Dubrinsky, Leo leaving the pack temporarily and the uprooting of Carlton's pack to their lands, no one was in the best of moods. Especially when he was going to reveal good news they wouldn't have the energy or time to celebrate.

"Alpha," Yosi's voice broke the worried silence of the room and Katarina looked up to find the Beta standing in the doorway.

Milo went across to talk to him, having a quiet conversation before returning to her side. Yosi left again, making her wonder if they were discussing pack business.

"Darling, Yosi and Daisy have a gift for you and the baby. I told him he could bring it, since you could do with the cheering up," he confessed with a light smile.

Katarina smiled in return and gladly accepted a sweet kiss from her husband and true mate.

***

A few moments later, the door opened and Yosi walked into the room carrying a hand made, wooden cot, fully painted.

Katarina was speechless.

"Just over here will do fine, Yosi. Thank you," Milo nodded to his Beta and watched her reaction. The cot really was quite beautiful.

"Oh, Yosi," she gasped, clasping her hands to her chin in wonder as she took in the beautifully made cot.

Its legs were shaped into wolf paws, while the top parallel bars were carved to look like an elephant's trunk. And all along the side panels were images of animals and a forest. The white base was flourished with wispy clouds, blue patches of sky and a forest full of lions, bears and giraffes on one side.

Then, as Yosi turned it for her to see, without getting up, she saw that the other side was a night time version of the same scene. There was a moon instead of cloudy sunshine, stars sparkling like little jewels and there was a pool of water with a shimmering reflection. She couldn't even begin to understand how he had accomplished such a thing.

"Do you like it?" Daisy asked, as she stepped into the room, with a large cuddly toy in her arms.

Katarina began laughing at the sight of her. Her cheeks were flushed, her eyes hopeful and she wasn't sure if it was her motherly instincts coming out, or if Angelus was guiding her somehow, but she thought Daisy looked sad as well. There was a longing in her, to have a child of her own, something which they had been talking about a lot lately.

"Daisy, it's beautiful. And I swear," Katarina began, holding her hand out for her new friend's. "If you need it, you can have it back. Even if Angelus is still small," she promised, only for Yosi to clear his throat. Both girls looked at him, smiling as they thought he found the conversation embarrassing or uncomfortable. But when they saw him, he was smiling.

"I...well..." Yosi stuttered, not sure how to say it until he got a nod of encouragement from Milo. "Daisy, I made two of them," he revealed, surprising his true mate into staring at him.

Katarina read him, instantly; he was nervous about that look, unsure if he was in trouble for adding unneeded pressure on her or if she was just stunned into silence.

"You...you made one for us?" Daisy asked.

"Yes. For whenever we need it. The paint work is a little different and some of the carvings, but there's a cot waiting in the garage, if we ever need one," he smiled.

"I...I thought it was too much pressure. With you in this new position, in the pack," Daisy cried as she looked at her husband in awe. He just stood there smiling at her, until she shook off her surprise and handed the cuddly toy to Katarina. "Perhaps our children can be friends, as they grow up?" she suggested to her new friend.

"I would like that. And so would Angelus," Katarina didn't know much about her son, but she was pretty sure that he would appreciate having another shifter kid in the house to grow up with.

"And I might as well tell you, baby, that Yosi has some surprising news from the pack," Milo interjected his thoughts into the conversation. "Apparently it's very obvious that you're pregnant. The whole pack knows and they can't wait to meet our son,"

"Really?" she asked, surprised that anyone was happy that she was the mother of the Alpha's son.

"I'd say Algar has been doing the rounds," Yosi winked at her reassuringly.

Katarina blushed as she recalled the way Algar had kissed her forehead, giving her equal status to the Alpha.

She was so lost to her thoughts that she never even noticed the way Milo and Yosi began chatting about the latest sports season. Or how Daisy quietly ran her fingertips over the cot in front of her.

Could they be this happy, when they knew that possible danger lay ahead?