Chapter 21

As soon as Leo left his mind merge with Carlton and Milo, he briefly explained to Angel that he had been given information that would protect them. And reassurance as to who they could trust.

He didn't go into detail about the possible fates they could face, just in case it upset his already fragile mate. He didn't want to put added pressure on him. So instead, they got to work.

Leo focused for nearly ten minutes before he and Angel found themselves just outside the cage in their dream walk.

Let us leave this room. I do not like it here. Angel asked, giving the unfamiliar outer aspects of the room a good, critical look over. The corners were dark, hidden in shadow and felt as oppressive as his cage.

Leo took his hand with a gentle smile and led to the way to the door. He tried the handle and nothing happened, so he peeked through the bars in the small window, to get a good view of the corridor beyond the room.

I will have to concentrate to move us, in the dream walk, outside of this room. He explained calmly. He hadn't wanted to try that first time, in case it hadn't worked. He thought getting through the bars was tricky enough, without asking to be outside the door too. Now that they had escaped the bars, he had more confidence that he could move them outside the door.

Just a few minutes later and they were standing, holding hands, on the other side of the door, with their backs to Angel's prison room. Neither of them looked back.

Leo spotted the door to his right, where he recalled Katarina overhearing the two captors talking. He peeked around the open door and saw that the room was empty, so he went on inside, with Angel, to see what he could find.

There was a hook on the wall; it looked like it was the perfect place to hang the keys to his mate's cell, but there were currently no keys on it.

Leo. Angel's inner voice whispered to him and gestured to the door they had used to enter the room.

He crept over and peeked outside. Someone was coming down the corridor, swinging the keys he wanted to get hold of. It was a young girl, whistling to herself. He could only guess that it was the same girl whose body Katarina had once been within.

She is bringing my daily meal. He explained.

What does she usually do? Leo asked, trying not to let his temper rage at the word 'daily'. So his mate was only getting fed one meager meal a day? He would make them suffer for it later.

She will unlock the door and place the plate just outside my cell. Then she will leave and lock the door behind her. I do not know what she does after. Angel confessed, worried and hopeful that she would venture into the room they now occupied to put the keys on the hook.

Leo glanced down at his watch and noted the time.

Yes, my love. She comes at the same time every day. If we are to escape, it must be after my meal. He agreed with Leo's thinking, smiling faintly when his mate met his eyes.

Leo loved that, at times like this, it felt like Angel's thoughts were his own; they flowed like water between them. It was so natural and spine-tingling.

It was entirely the inappropriate moment, but Angel was afraid they were about to get caught. He caught Leo in his arms and kissed him with all the passion he felt for his true mate.

Leo knew he was supposed to be the sensible one, but he couldn't resist him. He kissed back, until they were holding on tightly to one another. If they were going to get caught and captured, then this was how Leo wanted to go out. If he was to die for any reason, it would be for Angel.