touch love - yoon mirae

"Excuse me, Miss," called out the bakery owner, "Your cake is ready."

Chung Minsun took one last bite of the lemon cake, even taking a scoop of icing that was on the plate. Then she sprang up from the plastic chair and quickly shuffled her way towards the lady behind the counter. She picked up the cake box which sat on top of the food display that was presenting all sorts of delights. Minsun had to do whatever that was in her power to resist buying another slice of cake.

It was a very special day, more specifically speaking, Min Yoongi's 20th birthday. Her plan was to go to his house and surprise him with his favourite chocolate cake. She soon arrived to the rundown estate which he lived in, hidden deep in the outskirts of Seoul, it was as far as he could be from the gang which he was determined to get out off.

No matter how many times he had tried to plead with the leader, he wasn't allowed to leave so easily. The leader had claimed Yoongi owed them way too much for him to quit on them without a fair payment. But of course, the leader's idea of fairness was much more twisted than the average person's.

With a huge grin on her face, she knocked on his door. Her heart hammered against her chest, with the excitement of wanting to see him as quickly as possible. When the door still didn't open after a few minutes, Minsun assumed he was out and so she proceeded to fish through her bag for the spare key to his door.

She noisily stomped her way into the apartment, slightly disappointed that he wasn't home. Minsun just wanted to surprise him as quickly as possible and eat the delicious cake which she had now put on the coffee table.

"Oh for God's sake!" she sighed, "When will he learn to keep his apartment clean?"

She laughed to herself and began to pick up all of his clothes that were spread across the living room. After neatly folding them, she took them through the corridor and into his bedroom.

When she opened the door, an ear-piercing scream roared out of her mouth as she dropped the pile of clothes onto the floor. Her breaths quickened, adrenaline filled with fear and horror rocketed through her body. She couldn't bear to look any longer, she closed her eyes and whipped her head away from his room.

Minsun continued to helplessly lower her body until she was completely lying on the wooden floorboards. Her shaking body curled up as she cried and cried till her eyes could secrete no more tears.

A few hours later, the police finally began to file out of the cramped apartment. They took his lifeless body along with them in a stretcher, he was now covered head to toe with a clean white sheet. As they walked past the sofa she sat on, she turned her head away. Her chin began to wobble as she bit her lower lip. Minsun didn't want to cry anymore especially not when there were so many people around her.

One of the detectives came up to her with an envelope with the name Chung Minsun written in a scruffy handwriting that could only belong to Min Yoongi. She took it from the detective and tightly clutched onto the envelope to stop her hands from quivering so much.

When the last person closed the door after them, Minsun was left alone in the dark apartment. She didn't hesitate for another second before she took out the letter from the envelope.

She couldn't understand why he had decided to do such a thing. Just the other day they hung out together happily. It was an ordinary day. She could've never predicted that such an idea had entered his mind.

Her questions were soon answered as she began to read the heartfelt letter, his last words he would ever have for her.

Dear Minnie,

Please forgive me. You must read this letter till the very end for you to understand why I decided to take a huge step in my life, in both of our lives. I know how much this will affect you and it might even change you forever. Which is why I need you to hear my words for the last time. As much as it pains me to even think about how hurt you must feel, I knew the reasoning behind my decision was far more compelling for the both of us. It was important for my safety and yours.

It turns out, trying to leave Blue's gang is much tougher than anticipated. I haven't told you half of the reasons why this guy is the most terrible person to walk on this planet. The fourteen year old me was oblivious to how much I would have to owe that monster when I eventually would want to leave. What I owe him is much greater than my life and I will never be able to satisfy his demands for me to quit on his gang.

That was just one of the reason why I came to this decision. The most important reason for why I took away my life was for you, Chung Minsun. There are no words that can describe the immense love I have for you. As cheesy as it sounds, you really did change me for the better.

Despite all that you have gone through, you still manage to give every person kindness and happiness. You have so much potential, Minsun. There is so much you can do, you are someone who can achieve great things for not only yourself but the people around you.

Unfortunately, your connection to me means it puts you in grave danger. Although we kept our relationship private, everyday I was scared that at some point Blue would have found you. That's how scary he is, he will make you feel the worst kind of mental pain by not hurting you but the people you care the most about. That might make me sound pretty selfish but please don't get it the wrong way. Everything I did was done with keeping you in my mind.

I've transferred all of my money to your account to support your studies and your future. I've also tried my best to erase any trace of myself I have left. Which is why I lied to you a few days ago saying my phone was being repaired so I'm deeply sorry about that.

I know it's hard for you to accept my choice but in the long run, it was to keep you safe. I wanted to do this for the both of us.

My love for you will never die. Please remember that.

Love from Yoongi

The last few lines became difficult to read with the ink being smudged by her tears that had drenched the paper she was crumbling between her shivering fingers. Minsun let out a sob as she brought the letter closer before burying her face into it. Her cries were muffled by her hands.

She cried for hours and hours, till she was engulfed in the darkness of the apartment. For the last time she gently wiped her eyes and hissed at the pain that struck her from how sore her skin had become.

Minsun laid her swollen eyes at the cake which sat pathetically before her. All the appetite she once had for her and Yoongi's favourite cake ceased to exist.

She finally left the apartment, wondering if that would be her last time ever.

A/N: I'm thinking of naming every chapter with a song that kinda fits the vibe of the chapter's content. You could even listen to it whilst reading too.