15. Hallway

The next day was Sunday, I trained with Stephanie all day and she helped me with skill. It was body aching workouts followed by a run. We had less than a week before we'd return home. It all depended on when Westbrook and Maxwell were finished with their plan.

      They were going to halt the distribution of illegal weapon deals, and Stephanie and I would go after April and rescue Henry, her father. After about three hours of training, I fell down on my back and stared up at the sky. Stephanie looked down at me with her hands on her hip "Done already?" She asked.

"Sorry for being human and tired"

      "Actually you are a super human" she corrected, I shrugged. She laid down behind me, her head was inches from mine on the grass "I hope my Dad is okay" she said, her voice became filled with worry.

      "If he's not okay, I'll kill her" I was talking about April "Wait a minute" I shook my head "Your Dad is immortal... he actually can't die for good, right?

"Doesn't mean I can't worry" she pointed out, running her fingers in the grass.

      "How does that work anyway? You and your Dad. I mean, you're going to get older while he... doesn't. I can't imagine it" I laced my fingers behind my head. The grass tickled the backs of my hands.

      "Well, it's not easy" Stephanie admitted "Being around for almost 300 years can get lonely. I'm the third child that he has had"

"Third?" My eyes widened "What... what happened to the rest?"

      "What do you think?" She stared off in to the sky "They get old, and eventually die" I felt a sting in my heart. Two of his children have passed away already. In the next 80 years or so... Stephanie is next.

"But, why? Why would he do that to himself?"

      Stephanie nodded, understanding my question. Why would someone have kids, knowing full well that they'll pass on before him. You're setting yourself up for heartbreak "This is what my Dad told me" Stephanie sat up and wrapped her arms around her knees "Having a child is the most noteworthy experience on the planet"

      "You only have one shot to do things right. There's no erasing and going back to the drawing board. For my Father, he feels complete to have someone with him, someone he can teach and explore with. He doesn't like to be alone" she lowered her eyes, looking almost sad. But then she perked up slightly "He seems to be quite fond of you, especially since you're Tara Carters daughter. He's known you since the day you were born"

      I smiled "You're Dad's pretty cool. He broke me out of prison, that was nice" I chuckled, and remembered being in that damp prison cell wearing those ugly blue pajamas. Sam, Wanda, that Ant Dude, and Clint were in there with me. Who knows where they are now. I stared up to the sky, thinking of my Dad "My Dad's pretty awesome" I breathed "He took me on a Heli-Carrier and introduced me to the Avengers"

      "He's taught me about science and engineering, work ethic and the basics of sarcasm. I would be little to nothing if it wasn't for him. At first he..." I chuckled "he didn't like me very much. I was very annoying" Stephanie laughed "Then, one day he showed that he loved me. I called him Dad for the first time, and it felt right. I never had a Dad before, it was the most overwhelming experience... knowing that someone truly loves me"