chapter 48

When [Mother] was dragged away by a pair of Yiga who had been summoned by Bulblin, Ghirahim's suspicions began to grow. She was eerily calm about it all. A bit too calm... He had absolutely no qualms about betraying this organization if necessary. Nor did he trust anyone here. But for now, he'd believe Bulblin. None of this mattered, really. If they refused to help him, he'd get his revenge by other means.

[Name] was dead.

That fact still hadn't settled with himーnot when [Mother] kept prancing around in the Sheikah's body, abusing her tongue, voicing out opinions the real [Name] would never speak. He didn't want to believe it.

"What purpose do I serve to you, Bulblin?" Ghirahim questioned, eyes cold and aloof. He wouldn't allow himself to be cracked now. He'd allowed [Name] to shatter him into pieces, but now he protected his emotions with indestructible armor.

"You are the key to reawakening the Gate," Bulblin responded. "With your knowledge, I believe you can fix our dilemma."

Of course, that sparked an obvious follow-up question: "Why do you need it?"

"That information is classified."

Ghirahim suppressed a scowl, before flipping his hair. He jabbed his nose in the air. "Just so you know, I won't be wearing one of those hideous costumes, much less a mask. Why would I prevent everyone from admiring my glamorous beauty?"

The more Ghirahim flaunted himself, the more regret pierced through Master Bulblin for inviting this arrogant thing into their hideout.

le meanwhile

Where... am I..?

It's so dark; I can't see a thing.

I hear footsteps.

They're nearby, yet so vague, I can barely hear them...

The footsteps of thieves. Experts in stealth. Yiga.

"[Father]..." I find myself calling out. I miss him. So much...

As I'm thinking this, a bit of light shines through the darkness.

It's a girl.

"[Name]?" I call out. That's... my daughter... [Name].

She only stares at me. She mimics my actions, doing whatever I do, glancing wherever I glance. Then she cocks her head to the side, as do I, as if to ask, "Who are you?"

"I'm your mother..." I respond. She lip-syncs the same words just as I speak.

I realize then... This is me. My own reflection. I murdered my daughter and stole the power her father left for her.

It happened right before I was supposed to be executed.

I switched our souls. Her conscience was transferred into my body, and murdered in my place.

...I don't care.

She should've never been born.

This was our plan... Master Bulblin's and mine. To kill both her and [Father].

I don't know why I agreed to this.

I wish [Father] was here...

But I've been lying to him ever since I met him... Which was after I first came across Ghirahim. And, likewise, [Name].

I don't deserve him...

I'll admit when we first conceived [Name] I hadn't given one thought about the futuristic girl who'd waltzed into my life, claiming to be my daughter. Her name had slipped my mind as well.

This was all... my decision.

I regret every moment.

"Let Impaz deal with it," I'd tell [Father] every time he'd express concern for our child. I was never there for [Name]. I never will be. I let her die.

Even if our plan goes through and we manage to restore the Gate of Time, I won't go back to save her.

Surely, though, that demon will.

We must kill him before he gets a chance to use it...

I'll properly kill [Father], too. Go back to the time before I loved him. Back when I was sent out... to execute him, a rogue Yiga. He had stolen something precious from us. I was ordered to assassinate him.

But I let him get away. NoーI went with him. I fell in love with him. I thought having [Name] would prevent him from leaving me. She was my excuse to keep him close to me. That's the only reason...

I... [Father]...

I'm sorry, [Name]...

"[Father]..." [Mother] murmured her lover's name, as her eyes fluttered open. As her vision adjusted to the darkness, the footsteps she heard earlier became more prominent. She knew she wouldn't be dying here. The Yiga were skilled liars. Ghirahim was merely a pawn, being used for his strength and ability. [Mother] was a necessary aspect of the Yiga; they wouldn't discard her so easily.

It had been a lie that she knew how to control Ghirahim, too. Though she wouldn't doubt that Master Bulblin held the answers. He knew everything.

"[Mother], that demon has agreed to cooperate with us," a voice spoke out. She turned to see one of her comrades, their identity hidden behind the Yiga's signature mask. "He handed over the Dominion Rod."

"Really?" A look of disbelief crossed [Mother]'s face. She'd scoured through her daughter's memories, and from what she'd seen of Ghirahim, he didn't seem like the type to give in so easily...

"Yes. I will return once I get more information." The Yiga ran off then, leaving [Mother] alone in her cell.

This was all for show. To prove to Ghirahim they'd keep their word. If any more convincing was necessary, they'd use a body double to show him a corpse. That wouldn't be difficult to acquire, considering that a Yiga's full capabilities went beyond what a normal human could comprehend. They could edit their own appearance, or someone else's, just by imagining it.

Masters of disguise. Thieves. Liars.

That's all we are.

a/n

my goal is to finish writing numb by the end of july

so i'm just writing nonstop & publishing without editing

i never edit anyways

i know its bad but.... too much.... nyeh..... work...

uh if anything's confusing

ples tell me

i'll only edit if someone points something out

i'm aware that these past few chapters are awful

and they will continue to be awful

YAAAAAAS

thank you for reading

hope its not too confusing orz

^w^