fourteen

lea | alec

lea | alec

STUFFING THE LAST BITE of Carrie's blueberry pancakes into her mouth, her hands, simultaneously crawl towards the table to pick her bag. Her eyes travel to meet her phone that is lying beside it and she grabs it, shoving it into her bag.

"Okay, I'll see you doing lunch. I'm running late," she breaks her silence and watches the two girls smile at her followed by a nod. Before they could say anything, she's already on her heels, walking through the door.

She manages to run to her class, bumping into the crowd of slow-pacing people. "Sorry," she apologizes to a golden haired boy who wrinkles his face in disgust but immediately, lightens his features as he registers her. She leaves another apologetic smile. Ignoring him, she continues to walk. If there was one thing that Lea hated, it was people who walked too slow. And, especially during times when she was running late.

"Excuse me," she mutters under her breath and buries her bag between her chest. After what it feels like hours of endurable running, she stands near the familiar-looking door. She walks in towards the class slowly, only to find that people have only started to walk in. Fresh, familiar faces smile at her and she reciprocates them by shooting one of hers. A sigh escapes from her lips, realizing that she is glad she isn't late.

The lecture is what Leighton would describe as the epitome of boredom. The girl sitting next to her is scribbling down doodles of hearts and stars and Lea heaves a breath of relief knowing that she isn't the only one who's bored. Letting her eyes wander around the room, she quietly opens her notebook and grabs a pen from her bag to scribble down the idea of a poem that hatched in her idea in a spur of a moment. People around are starting to yawn.

Time flies fast and she realizes that she spent the whole time, engaging herself by wandering through the walls of mind, squeezing to complete a poem. She hears the sound of footsteps behind her. People are making their way out of the door and she wastes no time in stuffing her things into her bag and dispersing from the class. A familiar brunette - her name is Violet, they had met at a library earlier that week - smile at her on the way, asking if she could borrow her notes. Hunting it from her bag, she lends it to her and eventually walks towards the lavatory together, talking and laughing about absolutely nothing.

Her skin looks dull, she realizes as she stands in front of the mirror. Violet walks into one of the stalls and she takes her own time correcting her look. People were walking behind her and the girl next to her was applying another huge coat of makeup on her face. It wouldn't be fair to say that Lea didn't like makeup at all. She liked minimalism and natural makeup was her style.

She lets her hands dig through her bag to hunt her lip gloss and finally applies a shiny coat on her lips. A smile of satisfaction escapes from her lips realizing she looks a lot better than before, her face bright. 

"Oh, shoot," she mutters under her breath, all of a sudden. The girl around her looks at her, considerably, asking what's wrong. She shakes her head and leaves a tiny smile. She picks her phone from the bag in no time and curses herself for forgetting that it was Alec's birthday today. Her fingers hover over the keyboard to type a message.

She squeezes her mind to think of a birthday wish and all that comes to her mind was a flirty one - which clearly isn't her forte - so she erases those ideas and settles on something classic, yet simple.

happy birthday, alec. welcome to the world of adults. have a good day. lea x

She sighs a sharp breath and slaps her temple, realizing that it was inane but now that she hit send, there is nothing she could do, so she waits for him to text back only to find that he doesn't immediately. Realizing that he would busy, she shoves herself from her thoughts and walks towards the cafeteria after Violet joins her.

The day passes fast, a blur of people greeting her with fake smiles on their faces. University was painful, but there was something about it that she found refreshing. Getting to know a lot of people, learning a lot of things, struggling to balance between social life and studying - it was all hectic, yet fun.

She takes the table at the corner, ordering an Americano, to ease the tiresome part of her day. Coffee was everything she craved after a busy day. Carrie had informed her that she would be meeting her in a few minutes, so she waits alone, tapping her fingers on the table.

Her eyes flutter as she realizes that Alec hasn't replied to her text, so she scrolls for the phone that is lying next to her. A smile lightens her features as she reads the notification but instantly, tightens as her eyes roam through his reply.

you again.

yeah, it's me?

The reply is instant.

congrats. you've ruined everything.

alec, is everything okay? you're being weird.

i'm not alec. i'm his girlfriend.

A wave of tension strikes her and her stomach starts to grow uneasy. The waitress welcomes her with a smile, placing the mug on the table, but she cannot reciprocate her by smiling back. This was something she wasn't ready for.

oh. hey, harper. i wanted to wish him on his birthday, that's all.

that's all, my ass.

excuse me?

you've ruined everything.

what do you mean?

cut the crap. you know acting innocent isn't gonna work.

being rude isn't going to help. first of all, where is he?

 i knew you guys were close and from the looks of it, i really thought you were just friends. i should've known what you were capable of.

harper, you don't make any sense.

oh, dear. lea wants me to make sense. do you want me to make sense? fine.

Her heart stammers against her chest and sweat accumulates on the interior of her palms. She waits for the next reply, properly knowing that she didn't type one back. Her eyes widen and her stomach tightens nervously as her phone clings with a notification.

he likes you, bitch. you happy now?

Her heart literally stops.

•••

A/N: Thoughts on the chapter? 

Spread the love, Nova x