Preface (Updated)

Preface to my preface - I'm not saying any of this to call anyone out, or be mean, or to start any arguments, I'm just saying what I hope will help others!

So I used to have a rant here... but it doesn't seem as necessary anymore.

The TLDR of that old rant was... Be respectful when you comment. Not just on my books, but on every book you read!

These stories are the heart and soul of us, even when they are just ridiculous fanfic oneshots that make no sense, or a fanfic book that took two years to write, it's still a part of us. You read these free of charge, but it was not 'free' to make. It cost time and effort and anxiety to create.

Whatever you comment goes directly to the creator. Why send negativity in response to all our effort?

Especially in the case of romance stories, don't comment inappropriate things, it can make the creator of the story very uncomfortable, as well as super disheartened that all the work they put into their story was degraded.

For example, 'have his babies right now bish' in all caps was... delightful to receive. It's just ridiculous, so don't be that person. It lowers the IQ of the whole comment section (:p)

I'm saying all this to help other writers on here too!

One thing I know several others struggle with is when anything interrupts 'a moment' or a ship. Such as another love interest... Why do you threaten violence or death? I can certainly attest it makes us uncomfortable, and just... honestly when it happens to me I don't even know how to feel. Like, really, why are you *pulling out a sword to stab out their eyes* to someone who has literally done nothing wrong, but maybe threaten a ship? Like dude, you know how it's going to end, you've read the title, you know what ship you're reading.

Especially if that character is a fan oc! Like threatening death and harm onto them is really rude. You can lament and anguish at the threat to your ship... but please, do away with the violence.

Lastly, if the creator of the story asks you to keep the comment section 'reader friendly' such as asking you to refrain from swearing - why not respect them? You are enjoying their content, so the least you could do is think up other words to use. Some of my favorite comments are with 'creative swearing' where instead of using swear words, they say something like 'buttered pancakes, that was insane!'

'Son of a moblin!'

It's 2 am. I can't think of anything, give me some examples on this paragraph I beg you.

So many many words in our language... So let's be creative instead of vulgar :p

(I realize for a lot of you, swear words basically mean nothing; but for some of us they do mean something, and we don't like reading it. So we appreciate when you shift a few words to not swear :)

((I delete comments that swear when I see them, cause it's my book and I have that ability, so if you want your comment to survive till the end of time on my books, keep that in mind))

OH I REMEMBERED ANOTHER THING

Comment chains. Authors have to see your conversation in their notifications. And it pushes other notifications further down and makes it harder to see overall. If you get into a conversation that lasts more than a couple of comments with another reader... take it to a DM.

Everything you comment, we can see... and it goes straight into our psyche. Or is that just me?

~*~

Anyways, that was way longer than I meant to make it, but I hope you understand my meaning and that this might help some of the other writers on here!

I hope you enjoy Raising the Stakes, I spent a lot of time on it!

So much time and effort and anxiety :p