52: Anger

George turned on the 75" flat screen that hung seamlessly flushed against the wall.

"Happy Birthday Calla"

I smile when the pretty man in dark green silk suit appeared on the screen. Only Alexander Locke had ever wished me a happy birthday like this. It has been three years since we know each other and Alex never fails to send colorful calla lilies each year on my birthday.

"Thank you Alex. The calla lilies are beautiful"

Alex saw the flowers in the glass vase behind me and smiled.

"Oh, you're popular today"

Alex had long noticed the crowd in the living room and chose that moment to tease me.

"Do you have a few minutes to run over some numbers with me?"

He asked even though he already leaned back against his leather chair with the opened file in hand. I had to admire his growing confidence as he ignored the people in my living room. But then again, I expect no less from Allac's CEO.

"Sure" It's not like I have a choice.

We spent the next 10 minutes running through a list of ongoing investments. After Alex got my opinions, he closed the file and smile at me – or rather, he was smiling at everyone else but me.

"Thanks. I'll let you get back to your guest"

Before I get a word out, the man already hang up.

He's doing it on purpose.

Feeling a vain popping on my forehead, I silently scheme a way to get back at my CEO.

"Calla, you know Alexander Locke?"

Rose question had me turned to her. She looked daze while her focus was still on the blank screen. What is this?

"Rose?"

Rose snapped out of her trance and turned to me. For the first time, I saw her blushing. Why was she flustered? I glanced over at Eli and found the man had no reaction. Instead, he was comfortably sitting in my lounge chair, sipping freshly brewed coffee that George had prepared.

"You two seem close..."

Again, I looked at Rose. What's going on with her? Why does she look conflicted? It was the same conflicted expression I once had long, long ago.

"I work with Alex"

"You mean he works for you"

My father sharp voice brought everyone's attention to him. What now?

"Why did you not tell me you own Allac?"

He had been so attacking in each word that I was left dumbfounded.

"Did you think to make a fool out of me last time?"

Last time? Was he talking about the lunch incident? He had demanded that I called and asked Alex to return so that they could discuss business. When I had refused, the man went mad.

"I do not own Allac" I calmly spoke despite the growing anger.

When my father stood furiously, I looked back at him with cold eyes. I won't cower. I'm no longer the same little girl who gets afraid every time her father yells at her.

"You're still giving me that lie?"

"I'm not lying. Allac doesn't belong to me"

"You ungrateful_"

"I created Allac" I cut him off sharply – sick and tired of it all. "But that doesn't mean it's mine to control. I gave that right over to Alexander Locke. He is the CEO. He makes the decision for the company"

I want to make it clear not only to my father, but to the 2 founders of Aion presently in my living room.

"Excuse me" I no longer wanted to deal with anyone. "I have classes to go to"

"Stop it right there!" My father no longer cared about anyone in the room and shouted. "How dare you speak to me, your father, in such a manner? You_?"

"Father?" I wanted to scream but found myself whispering instead. "How are you my father?"

My words broke his last restrain. I stood defiantly as he came to me. I could hear Rose and mother telling father to stop. I glared when his hand lifted. I braced myself for the impact but his hand ever touched me.

It took me a moment to realize that Eli Frye was holding onto my father's arm, stopping him from hitting me. His cold eyes were looking straight into father's eyes.

"Don't hurt her"

Don't hurt her... Those few simple words nearly brought tears to my eyes.

"Eli, what are you_"

"Do you think James Lind will overlook this if he finds out?"

Only then did father faltered and stepped away from me. Hearing Eli's words, my blood went cold. James Lind. My grandfather is the only one they cared about. Refusing to let a single tear fall, I grabbed my purse and keys.

I left ignoring Rose desperate call after me.