16. Jessi Stark

A/N : Hey! So I accidentally forget to update for like ten days (because school started back up again and my afternoons became busy) so now I'm double-updating just so I don't feel like an ass anymore 😬. Have a great day guys! Thanks for everything!

***

      "My old school is having its Homecoming this Saturday, and I'm only guessing that's where Peter will be" I called through the cracked bathroom door. My head was bent over in the sink and the facet water was running over my hair, soaking it completely.

      "Are you sure he will help us?" Stephanie asked from outside the door. She was sitting on my bed and loading her handgun.

      "No, I'm just hoping and wishing" I said, lifting up my head so I could see myself in the mirror above the sink.

      "This isn't a damn Disney movie" Stephanie called. I scoffed humorously and grabbed the towel from the hanger behind me "Why not just ask Tony?" She asked as she clicked the gun.

      "I can't drag him into this, are you crazy?" I asked, looking at her in the mirror through the crack in the door. I began running the white towel over my head "He needs to be as far away from this as possible. This is my mess Steph, not his"

      "So you're going to drag in that fifteen year old spider-boy instead to help solve your mess?" She questioned, raising her black eyebrow.

      "Yes... its complicated. You saw the news, he's already come across this Toomes guy once before so he's my only option. Besides, my Dad probably wants absolutely nothing to do with me"

"But he's your Dad" Stephanie said.

      I thought of being a little kid and running around our Malibu estate. Dad would always look annoyed with me but deep down he liked that I was having fun. We'd go out together on the street and drive around in his sports cars. He'd show me how to work his suits and use complicated technology.

      All the hours he would stay up and help me work on school homework. Our favorite show was the Walking Dead and we'd hang out Sunday nights to watch it. I stopped drying my hair, letting the memories take hold of me for a moment.

      He's Tony Stark, he's Iron Man, and he's my Dad. But only one of those personas matter to me... my Dad. I sighed and set the towel back on the hanger. Stephanie looked up to me when I opened the bathroom door.

      The blonde hair that once hung from my head was now gone, and was replaced with my natural brown locks that reached my shoulders. The brown contacts were gone as well. I stood awkwardly in the door way, leaning my shoulder against the door "How do I look?"

She nodded in approval "You look like Jessi Stark"

***

      Another day, another nickel. Westbrook worked with me on combat, and Matthew broke down Adrian Toomes base and where Henry Morgan was being held. Stephanie and I devised a plan of attack, of course my plan was just to attack. Ames was my motivation. His funeral is tomorrow, I'm not sure if I'm going. It was almost time to take off to New York where we will end all of this.

      Everyday, every hour, my power grew. I could feel it. This must be what Steve feels like. Today I opened the bathroom door and the metal crunched beneath my grip! Laura wasn't too happy about that. But hey! That means the relentless training is working "So, how are you going to find this Peter guy?" Westbrook asked after training, we sat out on the front porch of the house as the sun sank.

      "I'm hoping he'll be at school on Friday for homecoming. If not I'll try his apartment, that'll be awkward though because his Aunt will be there"

"I just hope it all works out" he said "I won't be there to help you, you know that right?"

      "I know" I nodded "It will work, somehow"
That evening was the funeral, the funeral for Ames Justice. I had on a long sleeved black dress that Laura let me burrow. One simple layer of makeup containing concealer, light contour and mascara. Nobody else would be joining me there. They all decided to stay home.

      I stood at the back of the church sanctuary. A cross was built onto the wall behind the Pastors podium. Most of the lights were dimmed. Crying relatives sat up front, and heartbroken friends sat towards the back. The pastor was speaking fondly of Ames, talking about his football and inviting personality. Some people walked up to the ash box and gave their condolences.

      Watching Ames die, it reminded me of Pietro Maximoff. The light faded from his eyes right in front of me. It was horrifying. Now I'm older, a whole year older. It might not seem that much, but every year is a blessing to me. I could have died in Sokovia, I could have died in the hands of Killian, I could have died in New York, I could have died at any time.

      The fact that I'm still breathing to this day is astonishing. And while I'm here thinking about life, an innocent boy lies dead.
Once the service was over, I made my way to the front of the sanctuary. I made sure to keep my head down, now that my blonde hair was gone there was a higher possibility of being spotted. I laid a single flower, a lily, next to the ash box.

      That moment we met crossed my mind. He smiled at me inside the café, his eyes highlighted by the sun. His square smile gave me so much happiness, and the simple kiss on the cheek at the football game will haunt me "You will be avenged" I whispered and turned away.