Chapter 25: The End of the Beginning

-"Ah, Princess Xiao.So nice to meet you again. You surely have become a more stunning woman, bengong believes you are the #1 beauty of Eastern Zhousan."

-"I thank your highness for the compliment, though you surely haven't aged since I have last met you. And you Empress look just as stunning."

-"How sweet."

The Empress had never been on good terms with Princess Xiao, though the reasons for such a hatred do not have a logical sense. The Empress just hates Princess Xiao, because she just does. Since she was in presence of the Emperor, she had to keep her sharp tongue put away. Though she saw an unfamiliar face, it was Mingxia Jie. The Empress called out:

-"You, in the blue. Go with the maid and fetch me some food."

Mingxia Jie had been annoyed by the remark, and at first didn't move. She came to the conclusion that if she wanted to get out of the palace all and well she would have to listen. Princess Xiao was about to speak out, but Mingxia Jie cut her off and bowed to the Empress before leaving with the maid. She left and spoke with the maid, who had quite pleasantly was happy to talk to her. When they both had entered the kitchen, she had asked the chef to allow her to cook for the Empress. The chef was shocked but let her do her own thing, and let her dig her own grave. The Empress was ruthless in what she ate, not accepting anything that she found inedible or seem to look inedible.

Mingxia Jie then walked out with a tray that delicate flower on top, inside the main hall the Royals had been speaking about the festival when Mingxia Jie had entered. She walked up to the Empress before placing the flower in front of her. The Empress saw this as a way to attack Princess Xiao and lashed out

-"What is this garbage? The Empress asked for food, not for a flower."

-"It is food."

-"Humph! Bengong thinks that you find this funny by attacking the Empress because you have the Princess backing you? Well, you certainly are mistaken."

-"I'm not."

-"Maid come beat this insensible woman for thinking she is better than the Empress."

The maid began to walk up to where Mingxia Jie was before feeling an incredible amount of force on her chest. The maids' movements became sluggish and her breathing unsteady, by the time she reached Mingxia Jie, her face was deathly white. She spit out blood and retreated far away from her.

-"Empress, I would like if you could please try and eat one of the petals."

-"I do not listen to you."

-"Mother please, I will try it."

The Crown Prince Xang Li walked up and plucked one of the petals before popping it into his mouth. At first, it tasted like nothing but then the flavour burst through, the petal was, in fact, a blend of fruits and sweets that were delectable on the tongue. He looked at his mother and nodded that she would try it. The Emperor looked at the flower before standing and picking a petal himself. Everyone held their breath as the Emperor was about to put the petal in his mouth, but the clear honeyed voice of Mingxia Jie resonated:

-"I believe his majesty would not like that one because it is too sweet for you. I made it based on the preferences of the Empress, although I do have this."

Mingxia Jie pulled out a gold feather and told the Emperor to eat it, he was at first sceptical but still ate it. As he ate it a smile appeared on his face, before giving a hearty laugh.

-"Maid, what is your name?"

-"I must clarify. I am not a maid. I am Kangxi wangfei, of Eastern Zhousan."