Reunion

After Thaddeus left I had been sick, and involuntarily expelled until I could barely see. The very thought of him brought up everything I had eaten that day and more. I was completely exhausted and famished at the same time.

The throbbing in my eyes was almost gone. They were puffy still, but no more tears could be shed. I was positive that my body was drained of every tear I could possibly have. I had expelled everything I had left, and now I was nothing.

Thaddeus wanted me to get married. To live eternally with another man. It was nearly impossible to wrap my head around it. I doubt I could even look at another man the same fashion again.

But what did I think? That an immortal monster would somehow grow to love me? That I would grow old in his arms?

It was a foolish dream... but I wanted him. Him and no one else.

Knock knock.

My heart leapt from my chest. "Thaddeus?" I said softly as the door opened.

"No sweetheart." I heard a soft voice. In strode a beautiful ash blonde woman with silver eyes. She wore a low cut golden dress that pushed up her bosom. All I could focus on were the swirling and pointed black markings that trailed from underneath her dress.

They ran across her chest and up to her jaw where they formed a wavelike pattern on her face in contrast to her pale skin. It made her look devilish and beautiful simultaneously.

"Mary!" I ran to her and hugged her tight. It had been weeks since I had seen her and she was the first familiar face I had seen in so long.

"Well, glad to see someone appreciates me around here." She giggled and pulled away from my embrace.

"I've missed you. It's been..." I shrugged as I couldn't find the words to say.  I tried to avoid looking at her skin for fear of gawking at the marks that only I could see. I felt as though I knew a secret that I must keep from her. Did she know I could see?

"I know, Ayla. I am so sorry. Nathaniel, he just..." she shook her head as her words escaped her as well. We sat in silence for some time, both of us staring into the distance. Mary sighed.

"Anyways, this is a happy day! You are going to be the belle of the ball! I will make you look absolutely radiant and the men won't be able to keep their hands off of you." Mary giggled and grabbed my hand, pulling me to the bed. I sat and she clapped her hands.

In seconds a young girl walked in carrying a tray of what looked like make up and a few small blades. There were three different jars of powder varying from white, pink, and violet.

"You will look the most grand of your life, Ayla. I have the finest powder available imported from France." She smiled and picked up one of the tiny blades.

A shiver ran down my spine and instinctively my hand flew up in a blink and curled around the blade. Mary gasped and held still, staring at my hand and then into my eyes.

"Ayla... it's okay. Let go..." she whispered, voice shaking.

I didn't realize I wasn't breathing. I calmed myself and let go of the small knife.

"Hold still." She whispered as her hand came up to my forehead. She gently scraped in between my brows. I held still as she moved to just above my eyelids.

"This will remove some of these pesky hairs. And this," she held out a square shaped stone, "is going to make your lips look like a freshly kissed virgin."

"This is too much." I mused.

"Nonsense. Thaddeus wants to make sure you find a husband you want. Anyone at court is at your beckon dear." She smiled as her thumb caressed my cheek. I blushed as she set the stone down and picked up the brush and dipped it into the rose pink powder.

"Ayla you are so lucky. Any woman would kill to be where you are." She began to powder my cheeks with a small dusting brush as I pondered my thoughts.

Mary was right. I should be happy. A month ago I would have died a thousand deaths to be able to have my own ball. A choice of nobles for a girl born with nothing? I have choices of anyone in court. It was the dream.

Any handsome lord or duke is mine to have, and all I can think about is him. Why would he abandon me so easily? Perhaps I was a burden. Thaddeus always had to come to my rescue and this time I had nearly been killed.

Surely someone so powerful couldn't love someone so weak.

I watched in awe as we sat in silence with Mary occasionally giving me direction on turning my head or making a facial expression.

I both dreaded and happily anticipated what I would look like when this was done.

"I'm almost done dear, but there is one more thing I have for you as a final goodbye from his Majesty and I can hear her coming now." She set her brush down and looked at the door.

"What?" I managed to say as I heard the door click open again.

My mouth opened at the sight of a beautiful raven haired girl standing in the doorway in an emerald green dress.