More Alike Than We Thought

Lucas's P.O.V
(Kayla's room in the picture above)

As Im in my room writing down ideas for a new song, my phone starts to ring. Man I can never have peace and quiet time. Its always something. I check the caller ID. Its Trey of course.
" Aye bro bro, we on our way".
" Ight and I asked shorty to come chill with us today. Just to get to know her better."
" Cool cool, lets go to the mall and go out to eat later then."
" Ight I'll let shorty know and the door is open. I'm about to go get her though because I told her ass to be ready in a hour and she still not here."
" You know how females are bro."
" Yeah but Kayla.... I gotta go make sure she ain't try to escape."
" Escape?"
" Yeah, I'll be across the street when y'all get here and DON'T go in the fridge eatin' up our shit." I hung up the phone and walked outside. Checking the time I saw that It was past the hour deadline for shorty to get ready. Only by 8 minutes, but I still got a feeling I should go check on her. When I first asked her to come with me today she looked so shocked. I wonder why. Walking up her stairs, I walk in her house. The place is pretty big on the inside; it doesn't look that way from the outside. Plenty of photos hang on the wall and I go over to look at them. One of them must be a picture of shorty and her Dad. They are at the park and her Dad was getting attacked by ducks; shorty was beside him smiling and laughing. Looking at the rest of the pictures I see a lady that looks exactly like Kayla. She must be her Mom. As I look at the pictures I see that Kayla always looked happy. Smiling and laughing in every picture. But what happened to her? The brightness and joy I see in her eyes im the pictures are gone. When I look in her eyes now all I see is hurt and sadness. Pain. And I know for a fact it's pain because that's what I see when I look in my own eyes. Snapping out of my train of thought, I remember why I'm here again. To get Shorty. Its been quiet the whole time I've been here. I walk up the stairs heading to her room. I look at the wall as I'm walking up and stop. The picture. A casket covered with lavender and daisies just like my Mom's. Shorty and her Dad are standing over it placing more flowers on it. So who died? I keep staring at the picture. First it was the song. The same song, my Mom's favorite, Kayla sung at the performances the other day. Now the casket with the flowers, same as the ones on my Mom's. I turn away and continue to walk up the stairs. God what are you trying to tell me? I walk through the hallway upstairs and try to figure out which door is shorty's room. I see a spongebob and patrick poster taped on the closed door at the end of the hall. I didn't know shorty had a little brother. But I don't see any other room that would look like Kayla's by the looks of the inside of them. So I knock on the one with the poster. No reply. So I open the door. Spongebob is everywhere. Too much spongebob.
I look in the mirror and I notice a picture of the same Lady I seen downstairs. Kayla's Mom, she has to be. I hear something move by the closet behind me. Turning around I don't see nothing. Then I look down and see Kayla. She's knocked out. I bust out laughing. I walk over to her and try to sit her up. But when I grab her arms she pulls me down and cuddles into me. What the hell? I look at her and she's fast asleep. Staring at her I look at closely at her face. Small nose, long eyelashes, a light birth mark shaped like a diamond on her right cheek, full lips, flawless dark chocolate complexion. I feel myself smiling but I don't know why. She looks so peaceful; I dont want to wake her. So I send a text to Armon and say we were going to be a little late. I set my phone down and close my eyes. As I start to drift off to sleep I feel Kayla move even closer to me.
" Don't leave me, please", she says. My eyes pop back open. She's still sleep. I watch her closely and see a single tear fall from her eye. I wipe it away. I close my eyes and a million things race through my my mind. Shorty is just like me. The pain I see in her eyes; the strong emotions i felt when she sung at the performances, the hurt I hear in her voice. I can relate to her. I Connect with her on a whole new level. I feel so close to her even though we just met. It's like something is drawing me to her. I just don't understand why. I feel myself drifting off to sleep. But I cant help but think.... God what has this girl been through?

Hey Guys, this chapter is a bit shorter than the others I'm sorry. I promise the next one will be longer. Go check out my friend KentiaRoss she has a brand new story and I think you guys will enjoy it 🤗. Please continue to read and share my story with your friends. - shy 💙