TEN

The sun was shining through the thin coat of clouds that covered the sky, reflecting off the piles of white snow on the ground so that the morning was rendered exceptionally bright

The sun was shining through the thin coat of clouds that covered the sky, reflecting off the piles of white snow on the ground so that the morning was rendered exceptionally bright. Eliza walked down the path toward the Hogsmeade village with Will at her side as he told her about how he had accidentally corroded away nearly everyone's shoes in Potions on the previous Wednesday.

"- and my cauldron just started melting, right before my eyes so all of the potion fell to the floor and started melting away anything it was touching," he said with an embarrassed laugh. "Thankfully, Slughorn knew how to fix everything, he said it happens at least once every year ... I just wish it hadn't been me."

"I'm sure it must be a very common mistake," Eliza said in an attempt at comforting him, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Can I ask you something, Will?"

His brow furrowed just slightly as they walked past the houses by the outskirts and toward the centre of the village. "Of course," said Will, nodding his head, though there was something restricted about his movement.

"What is this?" the girl asked, an uncharacteristic blush rising to her cheeks. "I mean to ask, is this a - a date?"

"Would you like it to be a date?" responded Will, both of them letting their eyes scan the street and the window displays rather than each other.

Eliza hesitated for a while before replying a breathless, "yes."

"Well, then, yes, it is a date," he said with a grin, a sheepish smile growing on the girl's lips as well. "D'you want to go to the Three Broomsticks first, or?"

"Yes, that would be nice," said Eliza and the duo began toward the pub together, Will reaching out to take hold of her hand which the responded gladly as her smile grew.

Even if it was barely noon, the pub was already crowded with people. Eliza had, in fact, never been to the cosy pub in the village without it being full. "I'll go get us butterbeers if you go find seats?" suggested the boy, increasing his volume so that she could hear him over the loud noise of the other costumers.

Eliza agreed and began weaving her way through the groups of folk and around the full tables until she reached the back where a group of goblins were just standing up from the corner booth. She waited patiently for them to leave until taking a seat, waving her wand so that the dishes cleaned up and set themselves in a pile at the edge of the table.

Then someone slid into the seat across from her. "That was quick -" but Eliza's words died as she looked up not to see the warm, happy face of William, but the masked one of none other than Tom Riddle. Her brows knitted together as she instantly sat up straighter, her guard up as he only gave her a crooked grin.  "I - I'm afraid I'm here with someone Tom."

"For now," he replied ambiguously and she grew more uncomfortable.

"What do you mean by that?" asked Eliza, her voice higher than usual.