10: jackass boss

Monday morning rolled around, Harry had decided to fight me on taking the couch — I don't mean physical fight, not that I doubt he'd have won if that were the case. I exited my bedroom after showering in my small ensuite and getting ready. I did ask ahead in case we were getting the day off, and much to my complete and utter disappointment work was still planned for today.

I entered the living room and the sound of Harry's soft snores bounced off the walls, he was still sleeping soundly as I popped the kettle on. It's only eight in the morning, if Harry had work he should be up by now. I picked his phone up that was placed alongside his house key on the countertop dividing the living room from my kitchen, sliding to unlock – thanking my lucky stars for no password requirements – I opened his emails. As expected an email from the primary school he works in was the first on the list of unread emails.

I didn't snoop like anyone else could have easily done, I quickly clicked the one I needed and read what the email contained.

Dear Harry Styles,
Work has been cancelled today and tomorrow due to the weather, if you have any reason to enter the building at any point Derik is in the main office for any support teachers and teachers to enter as they please.
Reminder; All reports for students must be handed in by the end of the week.

I cancelled his alarm and placed his phone on the coffee table in front of him, the green packers jumper that once belonged to my father was still covering his body even though the heat in the living room had gradually increased through the night. I cautiously pulled the thin blanket off of him that was covering his legs, that were still in his tight black jeans. I smiled down at him before going back to the kitchen to drink my tea and check the weather on my phone. As expected, snow all day.

I order a taxi as I can't drive legally and I don't want to wake Harry up to take me to work, not that he could anyway as he walked here last night. Last night. I haven't spent a night like that in so many years, just talking to someone who barely knows you and talking about all the small things that you wouldn't bring up in an everyday conversation. Like I mentioned my father's jumper that Harry's now wearing, my specific favourite shade of colour... It was like a walk down memory lane too. After I hugged Harry, which lasted around five minutes, we sat and spoke some more until I caught him yawning.

He told me more about his sister, and how she works in a local restaurant and lives in his old hometown near their mother Anne. Gemma lives with her boyfriend of three years, apparently he's really cool but Harry isn't that close with him. Well as close as Gemma would've wanted her brother and boyfriend to be. He told me about his mother and his step father Robin, who both have jobs and live in Holmes Chapel. Holmes Chapel was the small town Harry was born and raised, which he told me a lot about and said one day he'd take me to it.

And somehow, I'm still not sure how, but talking about a small town called Holmes Chapel led us onto talking about my parents funeral. When I explained that all my family came from America Harry wondered if I was now alone over here in the U.K., to which I responded with a sad yes. I am alone over here, all my family are across the sea and in a different timezone from me, not that they care at all none of them care about me and they never have. At least that is the vibe I got.

Harry looked deep in thought as I explained the background of my family and how my terrible teenage choices drove my family away, all my parents families decided to give up on me and call me a mistake. That I was a lost cause, a train on a broken rail on its way to wrecking. When my parents died is when they started to care, I got phone calls and letters of apologies. Which all ended up in the bin.

A buzz on my phone told me the taxi was outside, looking up to check the time I saw the big hand on the clock face nearing closer to the nine. I should be just on time. I quickly and quietly scribbled a note for Harry and left it on the table beside his phone and a spare key before I left the room.