12: drunken mess.

{we're gonna try minimise the fluff, I hate that you's may find it cringe :( }

Harry has been quite quiet this past week, since I slept over at his place to be exact. The headmaster of the school he works in warned Harry about the cuts yet again, and due to Harry's lack of optimism he shut himself off from the world — from me — to focus on his work. Whenever we'd send each other selfies of whatever we were up to just to let each other know we're still alive and whatnot, he always had dark bags hung under his eyes, proving his lack of sleep. I told him to come over and stay the night, watch a movie or two and go to sleep with me. But nada. He had to create a slideshow to present to his class about chimney sums and that was far more important than sleep apparently.

I wouldn't ever fight him on his decisions to put all his effort into ensuring his work was the best it could be, to prove to his boss that he was worthy of keeping his job over the other teachers. But now, exactly a week later, Harry's still depriving himself of sleep and I have yet to see him properly. We accidentally bumped into each other at the local Tesco two days ago, where we awkwardly danced around the fact we actually knew each other really well — we practically acted like damn strangers.

It was currently ten p.m, and I patiently waited by my phone for a text from Harry, my last text was sent but still remained unread, 'hey fancy coming over?'. I had a bowl of popcorn, the bottom of the plastic bowl contained a few kernels that hadn't popped and small crumbs. The sweetness from the soft warm popcorn tingled on my tastebuds as I shuffled further into my couch. Lolita playing on the screen as I eagerly watched the film, the aesthetic scenes becoming pleasant as I continued watching. As the film finished and I was left with the reeling thoughts of the film a loud thud was heard from the hallway outside my front door. I froze at the edge of my couch, slowly standing up and cautiously waiting to hear anything else. Which I did. Another thud, except this time it was on my door, a soft gravelly sound was heard making me frown confusedly. I quietly made my way around the small table in front of my couch and to stand in front of the door, peeping through the small glass hole to see who was outside — nothing.

As I turned on my heel choosing to ignore the noise I jumped in alert as another thud sounded out, louder than before due to me standing so close to the door. Whoever it was was now beginning to piss me off, I threw open the door and a head dropped to the ground at my feet, shoulders nudging against the wooden floor and a thud from the unexpected body made me cringe. Harry. He was groaning in pain and swaying as he sat up, his body wouldn't stop swaying side to side resembling someone on a boat. When he opened his eyes they were bloodshot red and his pupils were dilated, his cheeks were rosy red from either the chilly air outside or the fact he was drunk. I could practically smell the alcohol reeking off of him, lingering in the air and irritating my nose.

"What are you doing here?" I frowned, holding my hands out to help him up. He pushed my hands away mumbling something incoherently, pushing himself off the ground and leaning against the frame of my opened door. "Harry?" I pressed again, a frown evident on my face as he looked up and down the hallway as if checking he didn't disturb anyone.

"Everdeen?" A voice groaned from across the hall, as I looked away from Harry's intense gaze I saw Joseph, he was a single father of two kids. "Your friend just woke up my kids."

"I'm so sorry Joseph, I didn't," I paused, unsure of how to explain the situation. "I'm sorry," I decided to apologise for Harry instead, Harry was causally leaning against the wall opposite me, eyes closed as his head softly leaned forward, like he was falling asleep.

"Just take him inside, it won't be good if Catherine comes back and finds this drunken mess in the hall," he sighed, turning around and walking back inside his apartment. Catherine was the wife of the man who ran this building, she practically stalked the halls to ensure everything and everyone was in there right place. Harry's eyes fluttered open as he looked at the now shut door of Joseph's apartment and back to me again.