57. Promise

He sighs and glances up at the sun high in the sky.
"I know.

"And I'm here to tell you everything. From A to Z."

Dylan's eyes lower, till they reach my questioning ones. He presses his lips in a straight line-- still keeping his hands in pockets.

He takes a few steps forward-- almost near the tree. A bird rustles in her nest above, as if advising her chicks to hold on to a lullaby-- even without the music.

Dylan turns around and sits down on the grass, while my gaze stays on the birds. As soon as his back meet the tree's bark, the mother bird decides to leave.

Arms press fiercely against my chest--loosening them, I breathe out.

I sit down, as well. Hands lying in my lap, while my legs are crossed into two triangles in front of me.

Dylan, however, has his legs straight-- without one over the other and his palms intertwined in my lap.

He almost reminds me of Dad-- sitting like that.

"I should've known you'd be here."

Shrugging, my mouth moves,
"To be fair, I've been really unpredictable these days. And I'm glad...glad that you're back."

He whips his head at me; though, he ends up nodding. Albeit, his lips scrunch for a few seconds, before removing the stains themselves.

The little nestlings above us chirp They quiet down after a few moments.

I sigh and gesture at his blue suit with my irises,
"Did you come directly from the airport?"

He flicks his shoulders.
"Ireland isn't that far off-- just an hour away by air."

Nodding, my right thumb presses with my index-- creating a loud crack.

Meanwhile, Dylan stares at the swaying daffodil a few feet ahead of us.
"You know, she liked daffodils... liked them a lot."

Glancing at him from the side, I see him loosening the knot of his tie-- as if to lessen the suffocation of old memories.

I don't interrupt him.

"Aren't you going to ask me about whom am I talking about?" he questions.

I shake my head.
"I've had my fair share of questions in the past night. Not saying that I won't question-- questioning is a part of me. But I want to hear."

He furrows his brows, but chooses silence instead of questions.
"We were friends-- best friends. Like I was with Alice and Noah."

Only one person comes into my mind at that mention. I remember a girl-- the same girl that Kathy showed me in that classroom
"Melody."

He nods and a fond smile caresses his face.
"We weren't always friends, though. More like rivals. We competed at almost everything: academics, projects, sports... you name it. It wasn't like we hated one another or anything. We-- I guess my competitiveness is why the company didn't crash and burn." He shakes his head.

"Then one fine day Mr Henley grouped us together for a project. To say we were furious would be an understatement.

"Long story short: We actually became friends, and Alice and Noah liked her too and vice versa, so we all just made a group."

Dylan stops talking, looking at my face to find a trace of anything. He doesn't; he somehow takes this as a hint to stay silent.

Great, Lindsey. You've got that neutral face up again. Spectacular.