sixteen

~Daniel's POV~

"Maria Isabel Rodriguez Martinez is now taking family visitors."

The lady at the front desk speaks. Martinez. That could be Camila's mom! I gently nudge Camila awake. I watch her open her eyes and look around, dazed. Her eyes snap up and meet mine.

"I think your mom is taking visitors." I tell her.

Instantly, I see her eyes light up. She gets up too fast and nearly falls down.

She looks down at me.

"Can you come with?" She asks.

I nod my head and stand up with her. Inside, I'm nervous as hell. I've never met Camila's parents- they don't even know who I am. What will they think of me?

We get the room number and start walking. As we are searching for her room, I grab a hold of Camila's hand. I rub her hand with my thumb gently. As we reach the room, she turns around and pecks me on the lips.

She turns around, nervously wipes sweat from her palms onto her leggings, and opens the door.

Camila immediately starts crying when she sees her mom. Her mom was just as beautiful as her. I could see the similarity in their features. She didn't notice me when I walked in. Next to Mrs. Martinez was a pudgy, tired-looking man. I assumed it was her father. His eyes snapped to me.

"Mom! Are you okay?" Camila bawls.

"Yes, Cami, I'll be fine." Her mother had a strong Spanish accent. Tears pricked her eyes.

"Are you sure? What happened?" Camila asks.

Mrs. Martinez wipes a tear from her daughter's face.

"We came here to come surprise you for your birthday!" She exclaims.

This makes Camila cry harder. Watching all of this unfold made my heart ache.

Then, Camila's mom's eyes wandered over to me.

"Camila, honey. You didn't introduce me to this handsome boy!"

Camila wipes away a tear. She walks over to me, a sad smile on her face.

"Mom, Dad, this is Daniel. My boyfriend."

Hearing her call me this made my stomach flip. She grabs my hand and I give them a nervous smile.

Mrs. Martinez's eyes lit up.

"Why, hello, Daniel!" She exclaims.

"Hello, Mrs. and Mr. Martinez."

"Please, call me Maria!" She smiles at me.

Mr. Martinez justs grunts.

"And you can call that grouch Diego." Maria gestures to Mr. Martinez.

"Moooom, stop!" Camila's face turns red.

"Camila! Why didn't I hear of this before!" Camila's mom claps her hands, and immediately after, wincing in pain. Camila grips my hand harder.

"We've only been together for, like, 2 days." I reassure her. This was going well so far.

Then, a nurse walks in the room.

"The patient needs some rest. I'll have to ask for you to leave." The nurse goes to the corner of the room and starts looking through the desk.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye!" Camila's mom says.

"I guess it is. Feel better, Maria." I tell her.

"I'll meet you outside in a sec, Daniel." Camila says, unhinging our fingers. I smile at everyone before turning around and leaving the room.

~Camila's POV~

"Daniel, he's cute." Mom says.

"Yeah." I blush

"I don't like you dating guys you just met." Dad says.

"Dad! Morgan is dating his bandmate. I've known him for a few weeks." I say slightly looking down.

"Oooooh, he's in a band?" My mom questions.

"Yeah, I met him when Marissa took me to one of their concerts."

The nurse walks over to the bed, signalling me and my dad to leave. She tells my dad a few things before he frowns and walks out of the room with me. The nurse closes the door behind us, and my dad pulls me aside.

"The nurse informed me that your mom..." He says, sadly. "She broke her leg, a rib, and has a minor concussion."

"Is she going to be okay?" I worriedly ask.

"Yea, but she's just going to be hospitalized for a few weeks while she recovers."

"At least she's okay." I sigh.

It could've been worse..

I walk back to Daniel, who was sitting in the waiting room on his phone. I sit down beside him and break the news.

"My mom broke her leg, one of her ribs, and she has a minor concussion. She's going to be okay though." I smile at the last thought.

"I'm glad she's going to be okay. I knew she would be strong." He wraps his arms around my shoulders before the same nurse returns.

"Your mom is now resting, come back tomorrow and you can see her again." She tells us.

"Okay. Thank you so much." I reply.

I grab my things and me and Daniel leave the hospital.

As we leave. He puts his arm around the small of my back and guides me out the door.

"You okay?" He asks me.

I nod my head as we open the door to outside.

"I called Jonah to come pick us up. He's the only one that could." I say. He take a shaky breath when he sees the car pull up to the curb.

"Hey guys!" He says, way too excited. I smile at him slightly.

"Hey J!" Daniel says as we pile in the car.

We didn't talk much until Jonah spoke up.

"So, Daniel. What did you get Camila for her birthday?"

He grits my teeth.

"She knows, Jonah." Daniel tells him, a smug look on his face.

"Cool." He says.

"What do you have against us, Jonah?" I blurt.

"Why don't you ask your boyfriend?" he asks.

I look over at Daniel, confused.

"What did I do?" he asks.

Jonah turns around when we hit a stoplight.

"You know, Daniel. You stole the love of my life from me." He yells.

"Katya?" I ask.

"You snooped through my messages, Daniel. You are the only one that knows my phone password, and you left it on iMessage at the camp." He laughs, "And to think I ever trusted you!"

"Maybe if you didn't try to fuck up our relationship, I wouldn't have had to go behind your back. I never told Katya to talk to me, nevermind to like me!" Daniel spat.

"It doesn't make any sense!" Jonah yells.

"Jonah, you are one of my best friends and bandmates. I would never do that on purpose! But the way you acted was completely irrational." Daniel tells him.

Jonah is quiet the rest of the eventful ride home.

I'm dropped off at my house. I say goodbye to Daniel with a quick kiss on the cheek. When I get into the house, I immediately go to the kitchen. It turns out that sulking for countless hours makes you hungry.

A/N

8k reads! We literally can't believe it. Thank you guys so much! We never expected the book to get this big!