Chapter 13: Beauty of The West

She was graceful while she placed her hands to one side and bowed. Even though the veil hid her face, people still stop and stared. The veil could not hide the beauty underneath it. The way she walks – her manner of speech, without seeing her, people knew she was a beauty. 

Unconsciously, I gripped at his sleeve and look at Wang Feng. His expression was calm and unreadable. I was so focus on Feng that I didn't notice Chen Hua Lan was watching me. She had already noticed Wang Feng laced fingers with mine. She also noticed the tight gripped I had on Feng's sleeve.

"Chen Kang greets the general and Miss Wang"

Once again, Min and I were treated like we're invisible. Their greetings were only for the Wang siblings and not for the two people standing beside them. I understood the reason. Truth was, Chen Hua Lan and Chen Kang were both daughter and son of the prime minister. They were nobility and would only defer to people above or equal to them. Min and I did not have that status. The Fa Family is a merchant family with no real title. The Fa may be wealthy and respected in Jing Province, but to royalties and nobles, we are still common people.

When Wang Feng and Li Xia made no move to respond to their greetings, I felt a strange tension. I was getting more nervous as the silence continues to stretch.

"Fa Wei Lan greets miss Chen Hua Lan and young master_"

"We did not speak to you, commoner"

I was so startled that the words froze at my throat. Chen Kang voice was calm but his words were sharper than knives.

"Kang" Chen Hua Lan scold her brother gently. "You're being rude"

Chen Kang silent expression didn't change.

"Hua Lan apologized for her little brother" Hua Lan bowed her head politely at me. "Miss Fa, a pleasure to meet you"

I felt cold. I didn't know why but I was afraid of her gentle demeanor. I couldn't reply to her. After Chen Kang's sharp words, I already knew I wasn't like. Somehow, I knew the reason why. Wang Feng wasn't supposed to be with me. He was supposed to be with Chen Hua Lan. I felt so cold that my body unconsciously tremble. Feng who had been holding my hand, immediately noticed how it was becoming like ice.

Chen Kang and Chen Hua Lan were surprise when Feng gently slipped his hand inside my veil and cupped my cheek. Blushing softly to his sudden touch, I placed a hand on his wrist. Feng frown and looked up at one of the guards trailing after us from a distant.

"Bring me a coat for Wang Fei"

Again, the Chen siblings were startled by Wang Feng sudden actions and commands. Before anyone was able to process his action, a guard was already there with a dark blue long coat in hand. Feng took it and wrap it around my shoulders. 

Min and Li Xia who had been observing from the side, both had smiles on their faces while Chen Kang and Chen Hua Lan were silent. When Feng finished tying the coat, he took my hand and walked be passed the Chen siblings with a single word. Not once did he acknowledging or speak to them. For a moment, I was surprised by Feng's coldness but quickly realized that Wang Feng's nature had always been cold and aloof. 

"Wang Feng, Kang di-di did not mean to offend Miss Fa" Chen Hua Lan explained quickly as we walked passed her. "Please, if Kang di-di have offended you. Let me apologize again"

When Chen Hua Lan saw Wang Feng stopped, she smiled with relief.

"We have a ship at the lake nearby. Kang di-di and Hua Lan was planning to see the lantern release on the lake. Please, if Wang Feng, Wang Li Xia, and Miss Fa would join us for the viewing and a light night meal. It would be our honor"