Chapter 17: Wish

"It's snow..."

When the snow begins to fall from the sky, I gazed up at the dark night to see sparkles of crystal. The air was getting colder and the wind was blowing softly against my veil, revealing the smile on my face while I watched the snowfall. 

"Wei Lan never saw snow?" Li Xia suddenly asked.

"Qin and Jing are too close to the sea and too warm for snow... Wei Lan has only ever heard of snow." I lifted my hands, trying to catch the snowflakes. "How beautiful... Li Xia, look now they melt"

I turned my head to her, laughing softly.

"Wei Lan doesn't know snow was like this"

I was looking at melted ice in my palms until large hands took hold of them. Startled, I pulled back but the large hands held mine tighter. I watched as my hands were lifted up to Wang Feng's lips. As he blew hot breath against them, warmth spread through my cold fingers.

"Don't let it melt in your hands or you'll get cold" He said softly, his eyes staring at me through my veil.

When he placed my cold palms against his warm cheeks, I bit my lips. When he turned his face to kiss my palm, my heart trembled. We stood there for a long time just staring at each other through the white veil. Then without words, he fixed my coat's sleeve to cover my right hand and then interlock my left hand with his.

"Let's go to the bridge" He said softly. "The lantern will be release soon"

He led the way while I followed beside him quietly – not realizing Li Xia and Min were following us with smiles on their faces. 

At the bridge, we stood at the edge and watched as hundreds of paper lanterns with candles are released in the lake. I was so amazed by the beautiful sight that I had unconsciously leaned against Feng while tightening my hold on his hand.

"Feng, where do the paper lanterns go? Where does the lake ends_" I gasped softly when I realized what I was doing.

But before I could pull away, Feng with a soft chuckle wrapped his arm around my shoulders and held me back against his side.

"The lake is connected to the east sea" Feng answered. "Some of the lanterns will sink before they reach the sea, but others will drift until it reaches it"

I looked up at Feng and saw his tender expression through the sheer white veil.

"It's a known legend that the lantern that reaches the east sea will grant its owner any wishes" Feng smiles softly at me. "Lan, do you have any wish?"

I couldn't say anything as I held onto his robe while he held me tight.

"Let's go"

Wang Feng took my hand and led me down the bridge. At the west end of the lake, many stalls were selling paper lanterns. Feng had bought me a large blue lotus paper lantern. When he placed it in my hands, I was moved.

"Do you like it, Lan?" He asked gently.

"Yes... Wei Lan likes it" I answered softly. "Thank you Feng..."

Feng smiles and put his arm back around my shoulders. We then walked to the edge of the lake where many people were releasing their lanterns. I had been smiling and excited to release my own lantern when I saw Chen Hua Lan and her brother. 

Everyone was staring at the stunning figure in the snow white dress. There were half a dozen pretty maids and several guards surrounding the beauty as she release her white lotus paper lantern. 

I had almost dropped my lantern when Feng's large hand reach underneath my hands. His firm hold prevented the lantern from slipping. I didn't want to go anymore, but Feng continued to lead me to the lake.

Before we reached the lake, two of the guards blocked our path. Their young miss was using the area, and until she is done, no one is allowed to enter. The guards even pulled out their swords to show conviction. 

Wang Feng, on the other hand, smirked like their words and actions held no threat to him. With a sharp, heavy kick, Feng easily send one guard several feet away. Before anyone could blink, Feng had already sent the second guard into the lake. 

Chen Hua Lan and Chen Kang didn't know what happened until they heard their guards shouting. When they turned to look at the situation, Wang Feng had his arm protectively around a small figure while he had a guard on his knees with his arm twisted by the wrist. Before the guard could touch his sword, Feng cracked his wrist causing the man to let out a painful cry. Unaffected, Feng proceed to use his knee to smash he guard face. Many witnessed the situation but no one dared to let out a sound. Even the maids were covering their mouths with trembling hands.

Wang Feng looked scarily calm and casual as he flicks his robe where it had touched the unconscious guard's now bloody face. His black robe was unmarred but he flicked with the back of his hand as if it had been dirtied. The action had made the remaining guards stepped back in fear.

"Stop!" Chen Hua Lan voice shook nervously. "Step back, how dare you show disrespect to General Wang"

The guards eyes bulged out when they realization that the tall man was the Wang Feng. There is no one in the country that does not know that name. How could they miss his general seal hanging at his hip? Their knees went weak as they fell down, begging the general for forgiveness.

"Wang Feng, please except Chen Hua Lan apologizes" Chen Hua Lan quickly went to Wang Feng and bowed. "Hua Lan's guard meant no harm. They were only protecting Hua Lan. Please show them mercy and_"

I had expected Feng to say something to her; instead, he walked passed her and her guards while keeping gentle hold of me. In a daze, I was pulled along by Feng until we reach the edge of the lake.

"Go on" His voice was gentle.

I looked up at him and saw his soft smiles. Taking a settling breath, I bend down to my knees and sat on my heels. I used one of the lit candles left along the edge of the lake for anyone to light up their lantern. After burning the blue candle, I held the lotus in my hands and watched it glow beautifully. Carefully, I set the lantern on surface of the water.

I watching my lantern drifting down the lake when a hand was suddenly in front of me. I reached for it and Feng helped me up.

"What did you wish for Lan?"

I was quiet when we back toward the bridge where Min and Li Xia was waiting.

"Do you not want to tell me?" He said, disappointed by my silence.

I stopped walking and lifted my hand to hold onto his sleeve.

"Wei Lan wishes for Wang Feng's love..."

My voice was faint – slightly trembling. But to Wang Feng, he had heard me clearly.

"You wasted a wish"

His words stopped my heart until I was suddenly grabbed and lifted. He held me up by my waist and smiled wide.

"Foolish Lan, why did you waste a wish that I could easily fulfill?" He looked up at me - his handsome face reveal a sort of indescribable joy.

I was mesmerized to see him laugh suddenly. In his arms, Feng effortlessly carried me up the hill. Wang Feng ignored all the stares and continued to carry me to the bridge. Blushing hard, I held onto his shoulders and allowed myself to be spoiled.