Chapter 11

Hey guys :D

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 11

       "Is Mae okay?" I asked softly as the General and I sat side-by-side on our respective crates, two bowls of some odd- soup like thing in our hands. I frowned down at the curling brown liquid that swashed sluggishly against the wooden bowl. That was definitely not normal.

       "She was a little shaken up when I brought her back to the tavern, but she should be fine." He grunted before spooning the tasteless brown liquid past his lips. Well, at least he didn't have a problem eating it.

       It turned out that the small sea-ship Terif found us passage on was not a passenger ship, but a small merchant vessel built light and small for speed. It sailed frequently between the kingdoms, dropping off and loading supplies. I honestly wasn't surprised that the wolf was able to get us on board. Everyone was too afraid of him to say no.

       It's been two days since the General told me I would be staying at the castle for the foreseeable future, and my memories from the- the attack were slowly coming back, despite the constant pain in my head. "I thought you were- I thought they had..." I stumbled over my words miserably as I gave up on the soup and placed it beside me, my eyes locked on the boots covering my small feet.

       The dark chuckle that left the wolf-bornes lips surprised me, and I snapped my gaze to his as he shook his head- his dark hair brushing softly across his forehead. "It's going to take a lot more than a few sewer rats to kill me, my lady." I smiled at the amusement in his tone before resting my head back against my shoulders to enjoy the afternoon sun on my face.

       "And you saved us. So, thank you again."

       "Those are my orders. I would have saved you regardless."

       I sighed and rolled my eyes behind closed eyelids. Why couldn't he just accept the thank you? We were quiet for a few minutes, but the silence wasn't tense like I would have assumed. He seemed to be warming up to me over the past couple of days- for lack of a better term. Of course, he would still throw in a crude comment or sneer here or there, but in all honesty- he was a lot nicer. I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

       "We will be arriving at the Mountain in a few days." He started a few minutes later after he finished whatever was in that soup before placing the wooden bowl down at his feet.

       "The King has informed me that you Underlings-" I didn't miss how he rolled the word distastefully over his tongue before snapping those golden eyes up to me. "-have a very different culture than ours."

       I frowned at the way his dark eyes flashed and his face fell into a noticeable scowl, but I didn't bother interrupting. One day I would figure out what his problem was. "He wanted you to keep that in mind before we arrive. There are things you do and don't do in our kingdom." My frown only grew at his words, and I could tell he saw the question in my eyes, but he held his hand up before I could even speak.

       "That's his place to explain."

       I sulked down on my crate. The General was the absolute worse person to get any type of information from ever. "You know, you're horrible at holding conversations." I grumbled as he let out a small groan and began to stand.