Hate.

××
Shadow

'I suggest that you take a step back,' a cool voice interrupted my thoughts as I stared carefully at Robin.

And it was a struggle not to appear shocked. I knew that voice anywhere.

I watched the hero blink, his voice fitted with confusion as he turned to a corner of the room and confirmed my suspicions.

'Lilian? What are you doing here?' he asked through gritted teeth.

My heart stopped at his words and I had to look away to hide my pain. Lilian. . .

She was going to kill me. I never wanted thinks to be this way. I never wanted to kill her father.

But how could I even explain? Tiger was dead. I killed him. These were facts. My excuses didn't matter.

'I'm saving your ass,' the girl scoffed and walked forward so I could see her. 'You shouldn't trust the shadow of the Nightshade so much.'

She tossed the knife in her hand into the air then caught it again, a mocking grin fixed on her lips. 'Look at her,' she leaned forward on her toes and her smile widened, 'already ready to escape.'

'Lilian, you should go.' Robin said harshly, sending the girl a pointed stare which she only ignored.

'Tell me, Shadow, when did you think it would be a nice time to tell me you killed my father, uh?' Lilian tapped her chin with the point of the dagger and I winced, immediately knowing what she was thinking. 'Instead, I find his body in the docks while I'm looking for you. . . Yet despite that you're somehow here, safe with the heroes. I wonder how that happened.'

'Lilian,' I let out a breath.

'Don't call me that, do you think you deserve it?' The girl hissed, throwing Robin a glare when he opened his mouth, wanting to intervene.

'This is between us,' she said sweetly. Though I doubted if she would smile at me like that ever again.

'I had to do it,' I argued weakly, slowly letting my eyes meet hers.

'But you promised you wouldn't touch him!' She yelled angrily. 'That if I went with you he'll stay alive.'

'I—'

'Yet you're the one who killed him!'

I froze at the accusation and couldn't help but shake my head in denial. 'It was self-defense.'

'He died choking on your blood,' she growled and the memory flashed in my mind.

'Yes,' I admitted softly. My abdomen rippled with pain, the sound of the gunshot still ringing in my ears. 'He did.'

'So you lied,'

'I did.'

She tightened her grip on the knife in her hand. 'I hate you.'

I stared at her quietly, then forced my body up and slowly walked towards her.

My shortened breaths fell on the invisible barrier as I looked down at her. The pain of the bullet was negligible compared to how much my heart ached.

Why was everything falling apart? Why did Gabriel hurt me so much? Why did I obey him?

'I know.' I took a step back, hands still bound painfully behind my back and escape now far from my mind.

She knew that I could break the forcefield, and I knew she could enter with a swift stroke of her dagger.

She could kill me.

'But what are you going to do with that knife?' I asked, wondering if she was really going to do what she implied.

It would be easy, I showed her with a distressed smile. I was tired, injured and cornered.

Lilian could easily beat me to a pulp in this condition and I wouldn't stop her.

She can kill me. I blinked in relief. Someone here could stop me from killing. And I can't stop her.

'You're not leaving here,' despite her earlier words, she only turned away and walked to the door.

Lilian turned back to flash me a chilling smile. 'At least not alive anyway.'

I watched her leave, a burning pain in my chest as I took in another breath. 'Robin,' I whispered the name.

'Shadow, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought her here.' He turned to me with an apologetic smile, his brows furrowed and fist clenched. 'I didn't know she would react like that.'

Seeing him so distraught, I couldn't hold my calm facade any longer.

Lilian hates me. I let the pain I felt wash over my features.

I killed her father. Holding back a cough, I stumbled forward, my vision growing hazy as I tried to focus my gaze on him. 'I think. . . I'm going to pass out.'

As the words tumbled out of my mouth, I lost control of everything, blacking out before I even felt the floor. It really is good . . . to be back.

-

Lilian. Why?!