Chapter 22: Hairpin

As Wei Lan and Min walking away from the bakery...

Chen Kang exited the jewelry shop, looking up and down the street searching for the girl in the blue dress. When he couldn't find her, he rushed back into the jewelry shop and demand information from the owner. The owner was secretly amused but kept a confused expression. The owner doesn't know who the young miss was. He never saw her in the capital and assumed she was from another city. Chen Kang stared hard at the owner, seeing if he was lying. 

"The young miss seems to like that hairpin" The owner said carefully. "She must have been disappointed..."

Chen Kang frowned and looked at the hairpin in his hand. When he first saw it, he took it without hesitation. He had thought it suit his beautiful sister Hua Lan. Because of the recent event with Wang Feng, his sister had locked herself in her room. Despite his best effort to cheer her up, she wouldn't smile. His sister who loves to smile, dance, and play music - his sister who always have everyone attention and affections - but because of Wang Feng, his sister lost her smile. Wang Feng had disregard his sister for a small woman who couldn't be compare to a strand of his sister's hair.

Suddenly, he remembered the girl from a moments go. The girl with soft black hair in the long loose braid - the girl with lips so plump, so impossibly pink - the girl with skin touched by the sunlight, giving a porcelain color glow - the girl with eyes with the softest, clearest color - the same girl he just insulted for one hairpin. She didn't look upset. She didn't look bothered or hurt when he insulted her. She didn't even look afraid. Instead, she faced him with fierce eyes – so bright and clear that he forgotten himself.

Chen Kang brought a hand to his face and shut his eyes tight. He never regret anything he does. But in that moment, he felt nothing but regret. He knew after their encounter, her impression of him will never be good.

"Find that girl" Chen Kang was anxious while he gripped on the hairpin tighter.

His guards were surprised but quickly followed their master's order.

"Did she look at anything else?" 

The owner was surprised when the young man turned to him again. He had been so cold and arrogant before – now, he looked extremely restless.

"No, young master" The owner answered cautiously. "She had been interested only with that hairpin in young master's hand"

Looking at the hairpin, Chen Kang suddenly found it suitable for the girl. For the first time, he had found someone beautiful other than his sister. Chen Hua Lan beauty was apparent for anyone to deny – as pure as the whitest lotus flower. There wasn't a single day where Chen family does not receive gifts and offers to obtain the famous Beauty of the West as a bride. Chen Kang had always believe his sister's beauty was unmatchable. And yet, he couldn't stop the image of the girl barely pass 18. Her figure was nothing like this sister – it was softer, sweeter. His sister had grew up surrounded by many flowers, so her scent could intimidate and weaken men. But the girl's scent was gentler with a distinct smell of orchid. 

Chen Kang was at a loss because he met someone who was different than his sister but equally beautiful – different, but still, incredibly beautiful.