2.4

" The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. "

Friedrich Nietzsche

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

2.4 ; COMPULSION.

HOWEVER, THE ENDLESS KAREN interview eventually did come to a close. Derek and Caroline interviewed dozens of Karen and not a single one had a clue or suspicion about someone in their life who had an obsession with fire. Which brought them back to square one, with no leads once again and no idea what the unsub means by "I do this for Karen".

After the interviews, Caroline snuck out to the Chemistry building. For some reason, she felt drawn to there. She wandered the halls aimlessly, desperate from some clarity.

Today was Caitlin's birthday, and she wasn't there. She hasn't sent her sister a text to even wish her a happy birthday, not because she didn't want to or that she forgot, but because she knew that it would only make the situation worse. There wasn't one thing that Caroline could say to her now sixteen-year-old sister that could fix what she was feeling, to relieve the pain and hurt she felt.

She was just stuck here in Arizona where she had no leads on a serial arsonist and a sister who hated her guts. Her life was beginning to sound like a cheesy Tom Cruise movie.

She walked along the halls, her heels tapping as they touched the tile, echoing down the empty hallways. As she was walking, something on the bulletin board caught her attention.

The board was covered in multi-colored graphs and equations. She glazed over it, but her main focus was the title. In bolded text, it read: THE THREE BODY PROBLEM — Computing the mutual gravitational interaction of three masses.

This was that project the annoying boy from the chemistry lab was talking about last night. Him and his other classmates were working on it for their final project. She simply stared at the board, unsure what the tugging feeling in her chest was trying to say.

Suddenly, she wished Reid was with her. If he was here, he would be able to tell her something more about it. And, if she was being honest, she felt better when he was around. Less afraid, less paranoid. She felt more like herself, and not some useless shell of who she used to be.

Then, the sound of the door at the end of the hall creaked open and she whipped around, startled.

The patrol officer from last night stood in the doorway, watching her. He was even wearing the same bright yellow shirt and brown khakis. He gave her a friendly smile.