47. Lost

47. Lost

"And, we're all done!" Nana said, satisfied. She tossed the uneused bandages and scissors back into the first aid box and closed it, standing back up to tuck it back into the closet.

"Thank you, Sawada Mama." I nodded my head in substitute for a bow.

"Oh, it's alright!" she assured me, "Tsu-kun trips over and hurts himself often too, so I'm more than happy Iemitsu-san found you where you were!"

-

In the Sawada Household and in their living room, I sat on the couch, looking down.

"Rei-nii, okay?" I-pin spoke up towards me, her high-pitched tone surprising me.

I turned towards her, giving her the best smile I could muster-- which wasn't a very happy one-- and chuckled dryly. I didn't know what to say.

"Reei," Lambo called, beside my leg, "Why are you so weak?"

I put a hand at his head, patting it slightly in attempt to soothe myself. "Sorry, Lambo," I tried, "Rei-chan's just too weak for his own good."

At that, Lambo seemed to beam, "Then, don't worry! Lambo-san's just gonna get stronger enough to protect you! You can count on Lambo-san, y'know?"

"I-pin too!" the girl jumped up to the other side of me.

At their declaration, I cracked into a smile. "Thanks a ton, you two."

I felt a weight on my head. It shook my head slightly, but the little dizziness faded off quickly. I turned my eyes upwards, straining to see-- and found a very familiar infant on my head.

"Ciaossu, Rei." Reborn greeted. "So, what happened to you?"

I wasn't sure if Reborn was angry or amused, because his squeaky voice was just as comedical as ever. Scratching the back of my head, I let out a chuckle.

"Nothing much," I deny.

I was going to lie again-- I was going to tell him I tripped, like what I told Iemitsu and Nana.

"I-" I found my voice stuck to the back of my throat. My head turned down, and I bit my lip, "I just-"

I brushed my bangs aside--

I brushed my bangs aside, tucking them behind my ears.

They weren't staying up--

"I got into a fight," I admitted to Reborn, feeling the back of my eyes sting as tears threatened to fall, "And- I lost my hair pins, that's all."

I lost them.

I lost the hair pins.

It took me so long to notice. I was so obsessed with Ninomiya Rei's failures, I failed to realize what it took away from me. And now that I've calmed down from the raging, vengeful phase, I began to realize the most obvious things.