Chapter 35. The Somber Remains

Sunlight spilled across the blackened expanse of what used to be a magnificent garden. Burned stumps covered the ground like bones of a prehistoric beast. There was no more rustling of the leaves, no more nodding of the flowers, only rising trails of smoke, a scorched fence that used to be white, and the dark mass of forest behind it.

Ash seeped into Lilith's nostrils. She sneezed.

There were multiple calls. "Gesundheit!"

"Thank you," she said, turning around.

Blank faces greeted her. Her parents stared as if eager to talk, but perhaps not knowing where to start. Ed smiled at her with unmistakable admiration. Panther looked up in a way that could only mean, okay, we're done here, can we go home now and chase some squirrels?

There was a collective breath, a brief pause, and an explosion of questions, congratulations, and complaints.

"Lilith, you feeling okay?"

"What on earth was that thing?"

"It's burned to the ground!"

"Mutter! It was her! It was her who did it!"

"Where iz Alfred? I'd like to tell him what I think about zis unacceptable barbarity."

"Can your dog really talk?"

Voices merged into a gibbering, yammering cacophony.

Lilith sighed. She wanted to squeeze her mother tight, hug her father, kiss Ed, and cuddle with Panther. She wanted to tell them how much she loved them, but it had to wait. She had to make one final speech, to explain everything and to set everyone at ease. After that she could fall apart. She wiggled out of her mother's embrace. "Mom? Dad? I need to do something important."

"What is it?" asked Gabby.

"Mom, sorry, I have to ask Dad something in private. Nothing personal, okay?" She stood on tippy toes, whispering into her father's ear. "Can I tell everyone about Grandfather? And Grandmother? Her phantom said she died from fright, before Rosehead ate her, so it wasn't Grandfather's fault. You wouldn't mind if I told them, would you?"

"Lilith," Gabby began, reaching out with a trembling hand.

"She did?" croaked Daniel, his face white.

"Yes. That's what her phantom said. I want to tell everyone, may I? I think they deserve to know." Lilith caught Ed's eye. He gave her two thumbs up. She winked.

"Lilith," said Gabby again, hesitating.

"It's okay, trust me." Lilith regarded her mother with surprise. Hesitation was never one of her virtues.

Gabby fell quiet.

"Dad, I promise, it's the complete and utter truth," continued Lilith. "I only want to set the record straight and repair my reputation. It's something I need to do as rightful heir to this property. Everything that happens here is now my responsibility. Including the fire."

Daniel took Lilith's hand. "Pup, I'm—I don't know what to say. I had no idea. You know I'm not big on words..." He waved his hand. "Ah, go ahead."

"Thanks. I'm sorry about your dad, and mom, and everything."

"Don't be. Not your fault." He looked out the window, blinking. "You have my support."

"And mine," added Gabby. "For whatever it is you're about to do." She propped up her glasses.

Lilith nodded. With a heavy heart, she faced the crowd. People stopped chatting, as if anticipating her to address them.

"Dearest Bloom family reunion guests," she began, "as you well know by now, I am the new heir to the Bloom property. In light of this fact, I feel that it's my duty to inform you that Alfred Bloom, my grandfather, has been feeding people to the rose garden ever since he inherited this land from his predecessor."